• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

London Dinner Recommendations

Hi,

I'm looking for a recommendation for my mother's 50th birthday dinner in February next year. Ideally this would be a place with great food and an atmosphere that was not too formal. I am leaning towards Le Gavroche at the moment but would this be too formal?

Do you have any other recommendations?

Cheers

Hi,

I love the Galvin Bistro on Baker Street! Formal looking enough to be a great for a special occasion, thick table cloths et al, but not too expensive, classic French food, cooked bang on and a good wine list. The staff are friendly, if a little cack-handed on occasion. Once when I was there with my girlfriend my bill was £800. Two other tables wine had been put on our bill. However, that is one isolated incident. Think trotters a la Koffman (ish), steak tartare and wonderful rich stews with french sausage and snails.

Wild Honey is a lovely special occasion restaurant. I've seen Mr Matthew Grant at Arbutus a few times and would be interested to know what he thinks of the place too!!

Good value and bloody good. I just don't know about looking for something 'not too formal' and thinking about going to the Gavroche.

All the best with the hunt anyway.

I just don't know about looking for something 'not too formal' and thinking about going to the Gavroche.

I guess I'm looking for a special occasion restaurant and have read that Le Gavroche is the restaurant to go to for such an event. Also the set lunch looks like a fantastic deal, do they do this at dinner as well?

i'm pretty sure it's only a lunch thing unfortunately.

I really can't recommend the galvin bistro highly enough.

don't go by the website, go there and have look at it. i think it might be what you're looking for. does a very good value prixe fixe too if you're looking for that. i must admit i've never had it myself because the steak tartare is one of the best i've ever had.

they re one of the few places that do a miller's gin and tonic aswell.

• 4 months later...

We usually adore The Square or Hibiscus, but wanted to try something new next time we will be in London.

All three of these restaurants sound extrordinary. How do we choose?!

Superb food is our first priority, an incredible dining experience in terms of taste, quality and presentation.

We've read the guidebooks to narrow it down to these three, but now are a bit lost trying to decide.

What are the pros and cons of each of these 3 places?

Thank you for the help!

Dear Polarbear,

Unfortunately we only have one meal where we don't already have reservations, otherwsise that would have been fun!

It's a short trip, and only the one night is undecided.

So... given that - what have you found to be the pros and cons of the three, (I don't know their differences)

Thank you for your help, it really is useful to have someone in the know let me know:)

Annie

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am loking for somewhere for dinner after lunch in the Ledbury on Thursday.

At the moment I am considering: Artisan / Pattersons / L'Etranger because they are offering good discounts!

Can anyone recommend any of these choices or should I go for somewhere more laid back, Terriors for example.

Any advice welcome.

Martin

Martin