• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jacques Genin Caramels

schneich

5 hours ago, losmochis said:

Has anyone tried both the recipe in post #132 and any of Schneich's versions to compare? I've never made caramels of any kind before, but every time I go to Paris (or my in-laws visit me) I eat a tin or two of the Genin caramels.

No numbers on posts now - date?

6 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

No numbers on posts now - date?

Host's note: this seems to be the post formerly known as #132, to which as least 2 posts have referred:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/27/2016 at 0:19 AM, Smithy said:

Host's note: this seems to be the post formerly known as #132, to which as least 2 posts have referred:

Smithy is right; that's the post to which I was referring. I was wondering how people were able to refer to the post number...

• 2 years later...

So I made the 11/29 recipe (with a bit less lecithin than was called for) last night when I made 6 different caramel recipes/methods for comparison. The Genin one was the very least favorite. It just tasted off. I’m wondering if it was the sunflower lecithin. That was the only kind I could find locally in a smaller container. Does anyone know if sunflower lecithin tastes significantly different from soy lecithin?

I was super disappointed. 

6 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Sunflower lecithin is vile IMHO!

But soy tastes better?

Ugh. I’m so frustrated. I bought soy lecithin granules the first time I tried this last year because I didn’t know any better and they didn’t incorporate and they scorched. And I thought that batch tasted a bit weird too. I really don’t want to buy $20 of liquid soy lecithin just to try it out. Grrrrr. 

Oh well. Onward and upward.  ;) 

2 minutes ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

But soy tastes better?

Ugh. I’m so frustrated. I bought soy lecithin granules the first time I tried this last year because I didn’t know any better and they didn’t incorporate and they scorched. And I thought that batch tasted a bit weird too. I really don’t want to buy $20 of liquid soy lecithin just to try it out. Grrrrr. 

Oh well. Onward and upward.  ;) 

Yes - soy tastes better - not good but not vile.

• Like 1

A cheap and quick source for soy lecithin is soy milk. I don't know what recipe you are using, but I suppose you could substitute few grams of cream / fruit puree with soy milk. I'd try substituting 2% (substitute 100 g of cream with 98 g of cream and 2 g of soy milk), there should be enough lecithin to do its job.

Teo

• Like 2

Teo

I've never tried Genin caramels nor the recipe given in the thread.  Are they really that good compared to say the Grewling recipe in his Chocolate Formulas & Theory book?  I have made those and I find them quite acceptable.  If they are better, what is it that people seem to like most about them?  Mouthfeel?  Taste?  Just curious.