• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apple Chutney

Suvir Saran

I have a pound or two of BOSC pears that I want to use up. Can they be substituted for apples? Is the use of Balsamic vinegar "traditional" Suvir?? I'm assuming not. What do you normally use this chutney with?

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I have a pound or two of BOSC pears that I want to use up. Can they be substituted for apples? Is the use of Balsamic vinegar "traditional" Suvir?? I'm assuming not. What do you normally use this chutney with?

FM

Pears should be just fine. In fact GREAT!

The best chutney I make of this kind is made from Quinces. My grandma (who is in ICU these days) will call me every other month asking for more jars of this chutney.

Remember all you need is some cumin seeds, more fennel than cumin seeds, red chili powder, asafoetida, cranberries or raisins, or currants, balsasmic vinegar, some sugar and patience.

The chutney is made.. and can be had with most anything. Indian or not.

Apple (pear/quince)-Cranberry (raisin/cherry/currant) Chutney

1 Tbs. Vegetable Oil

2 Tbs. minced Ginger

1 tsp. minced Red Chile (seeded & deveined)*

1 tsp Fennel seed

1/2 tsp Cumin seed

pinch Asafoetida

4 cups diced Granny Smith Apple (~3 apples) or pears or quinces

1/2 cup dried Cranberries, raisins, currants or even dried cherries

1/4 cup Water

1/8 tsp Salt

1 Tbs. Sugar

1/2 Tbs. Balsamic Vinegar

pinch dried ground Cayenne Pepper

Heat a 2 quart saucepan, add oil and fry the ginger, chile, fennel, cumin and asafoetida. When some of the fennel seeds look toasty (1-2 minutes), add apple, stir to coat with spices. Add cranberries, water, salt, sugar and vinegar, stir, cover for about three minutes, then remove cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pan is dry and the apples are about ready to fall apart. Check for seasoning and add cayenne pepper to taste.