• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apple Chutney

Suvir Saran

Is the reason you haven't posted the recipe for the Apple-Cranberry Chutney because it is going to be in your upcoming book? or is it in another book? If these are the reasons you won't post it then the following applies. In another thread, you told me to call you and you'll tell me the recipe, would you mind sending it to me via email? Thanks. :wub:

Is the reason you haven't posted the recipe for the Apple-Cranberry Chutney because it is going to be in your upcoming book? or is it in another book? If these are the reasons you won't post it then the following applies. In another thread, you told me to call you and you'll tell me the recipe, would you mind sending it to me via email? Thanks. :wub:

What does it mean to you? Getting the recipe that is? :wink:

Aw, come on, I already posted the wubby smilie! :raz: Whaddya want?

Hopefully your sense of galantry will force the recipe out of you when I tell you that, without it, my guests are getting Ocean Spray out of a can!

You have put me in a fix with those words. :rolleyes:

I take very little oil in which I fry some whole red chiles, fennel seeds, very finely chopped ginger and a pinch or two of asafoetida. When the fennel seeds are golden in color, you add the apples and dry cranberries. Saute for as long as the apples need to get soft and almost ready to break down into a mush. You may want to add some water to help soften. Somewhere in the middle of this I add sugar to taste and also balsamic vinegar to taste and some cayenne to taste. And of course salt to taste as well.

Cook to reduce moisture and can as per instructions from Bell Jar catalog for apple chutney.

Was I gallant enough? Subservient enough? :shock::rolleyes::raz:

Edited by Suvir Saran (log)

Subservient? I hope not. :unsure:

Thanks for the recipe, I'll have to look up some of those ingredients, but I'm sure I'll manage something similar, if not near as good, as the one we were served the other night. I don't plan on making such a whole lot that I'd have to can it, but thanks for the indication that it can be done anyway.

Canning is easy.. and a great way of sharing yourself and giving gifts that bring joy. Takes very little effort to do.. and brings much much joy. Give it a go... I am sure you have done it... But it is really easy... a few minutes of more effort to preserve an hour or more of your effort in planning a recipe.. How can you go wrong. :smile:

Oh, I have done canning. In fact, I just opened a jar of strawberry jam I made in 2001 (we picked the strawberries ourselves too). I just was only planning to make a few cupfuls as a Thanksgiving day condiment. (BTW - what kind of apples do you recommend for the recipe?)

For canning, what do you do to it to counteract the low-acidity of the fruit? Does it have to be refrigerated? Shorter storage length?

Oh, I have done canning. In fact, I just opened a jar of strawberry jam I made in 2001 (we picked the strawberries ourselves too). I just was only planning to make a few cupfuls as a Thanksgiving day condiment. What do you do to it to counteract the low-acidity of the fruit? Does it have to be refrigerated? Shorter storage length?

(BTW - what kind of apples do you recommend for the recipe?)

I use granny smith apples. And in fact I only ever make this for myself with Quinces and can many batches. It is great with Quince. My grandmother salutes me everytime she opens a fresh bottle. You can try it with quince.... You may need water to soften the fruit.

And sorry... I have edited the recipe.. Look above... I forgot.. you will need to add some water to the fruit to help it cook...

The balsamic vinegar helps give the acidity.

Oh, thanks Nina, I hadn't ask where to find them because there are several Indian stores in towns near me, I'm sure I can get what I need there. I was just looking up asafoetida because I was ignorant of this spice. Fortunately, there was an answer available via a quick search right here on eGullet. Click: Asafoetida

The chutney we had a Diwan was definitely not mushy, soft, but not mushy. I assume that batch had not been canned? If you cook it until it is nearly mushy, wouldn't the hot water bath for canning reduce it to applesauce?

Rachel very good questions.

The chutney should be cooked till the apples are almost ready to get mushy... It is the point where the sugar is getting to become caramel like.... I wish I had this recipe written, so I could give you precise answers.

The canning will not make the apples change their consistency. It is very slightly cooked by the process.

Never an issue to worry about in my book.

Oh, thanks Nina, I hadn't ask where to find them because there are several Indian stores in towns near me, I'm sure I can get what I need there. I was just looking up asafoetida because I was ignorant of this spice. Fortunately, there was an answer available via a quick search right here on eGullet. Click: Asafoetida

All ingredients are easily available as Nina has mentioned.

All the best with the recipe.... Call me .. you have the number or post here.. and I shall help you as much as I can. :smile:

All the best with the recipe.... Call me .. you have the number or post here.. and I shall help you as much as I can. :smile:

...and Suvir's help is far beyond what mere mortals might offer. :wub:

An apple/cranberry chutney adventure is definitely in my future. Thanks, Suvir.

Do you use cranberries with the quince version?

...and Suvir's help is far beyond what mere mortals might offer. :wub:

An apple/cranberry chutney adventure is definitely in my future. Thanks, Suvir.

Do you use cranberries with the quince version?

Yes I sure use the cranberries with the Quinces. I have also used sour cherries and had great results as well. Depends on my mood really. :rolleyes:

And I am simply mortal. Nothing more or less. :shock: It is asking for failure to assume or infer I am anything but... You are too kind to all of us Cathy... I am always amazed at how encouraging you are. Thanks!:smile:

As I put together the chutney this morning, I wrote down exactly what I used. Since Suvir didn't specify amounts, I estimated what looked appropriate. The procedure I used is pretty much what Suvir said to do. How does this sound Suvir? The results taste pretty close to what you served at Diwan. :smile:

Suvir's Apple-Cranberry Chutney

1 Tbs. Vegetable Oil

1 Tbs. minced Ginger

1 tsp. minced Red Chile (seeded & deveined)*

1/2 tsp Fennel seed

pinch Asafoetida**

4 cups diced Granny Smith Apple (~3 apples)

1/2 cup dried Cranberries

1/4 cup Water

1/8 tsp Salt

1 Tbs. Sugar

1/2 Tbs. Balsamic Vinegar

pinch dried ground Cayenne Pepper

Heat a 2 quart saucepan, add oil and fry the ginger, chile, fennel and asafoetida. When some of the fennel seeds look toasty (1-2 minutes), add apple, stir to coat with spices. Add cranberries, water, salt, sugar and vinegar, stir, cover for about three minutes, then remove cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pan is dry and the apples are about ready to fall apart. Check for seasoning and add cayenne pepper to taste.

* I forgot you said to leave it whole, I minced mine, oh well.

** It certainly has a unique smell which becomes savory as it is fried.

Suvir

I can't find cranberries here. What else can be used to replace the cranberries.

I know that you mentioned sour cherries, which may be available here some time during the year. In December I won't find them either, I don't think.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BlackDuff

Suvir

I can't find cranberries here. What else can be used to replace the cranberries.

I know that you mentioned sour cherries, which may be available here some time during the year. In December I won't find them either, I don't think.

BlackDuff

Raisins or currants should work just fine. :smile:

Suvir

BlackDuff

Raisins or currants should work just fine. :smile:

Yeah, Raisins definitely and if you want it really hot , infact to protect you against cold and winters, add a sp. of raisins called Munakka (in Hindi).

Munakkas are large raisins which have a deep penetrating heating effect. So 1 tsp of Apple Chutney a day will keep you away from the chill at play.

:biggrin:

Puneet Aggarwal "Sonzy"

Friendly advice on Indian CuisineSonzysKitchen.com

In Indian cooking we often use the word hot for stuff that will produce heat within the body.

Certain ingredients have the capability of heating the body after they have been eaten.

They do not have to have heat (as that we are used to getting from chiles) we ascribe to spices.