• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lupa Osteria Romana

Beachfan

if anyone goes and they have the "fried minnows" as a special, get them. they were awesome. little whole fishes should be served instead of popcorn everywhere. I was expecting to notice some crunch from the bones, at least in the head, but nothing but pure goodness. And it was a very sizable portion too. Almost filled up on those critters and couldn't finish our pasta. actually, come to think of it, some of the very best things I've had there are the specials (not the weekly ones, which are excellent, but I'm referring to random things they tell you about)

Ed aka Wordsmithing Pantagruel

Food, Cocktails, Travels, and miscellany on my blog:

http://www.wordsmithingpantagruel.com/

This is all very exciting as we've got a resy for later this week. The minnows and the pork with honey are now at the top of my craving list. Any truth to the rumor they've replaced those wretched uncomfortable chairs they had?

Can't speak to the chairs as we got the corner table and sat on the banquette, but the specials last night did not include the minnows nor pork with honey. There is a pork but the prep is with vinegar, and they had the prosciutto croquettes as a special but we went with regular prosciutto instead and were not sorry.

A very indulgent meal, and everything was great, some things greater than others. Would definitely order the prosciutto, the bavette, the escarole salad, the tripa, and the duck agrodolce (the Tuesday dish) again. The ricotta were good but not mindblowing, and I would not order the octopus with ceci again, as the sauce was kind of creamy and I just didn't like the fishy-creamy combo. Texture was great though, for octopus. Both the bavette (with cheese and pepper) and escarole (with walnuts, red onions, and pecorino) sounded, and were, pretty simple, but the flavors were just excellent. Should have stopped at one dessert instead of two but the tartufo and dates were both pretty awesome.

Wonderful service. The waitress' recommendations for both food and wine were excellent. Really enjoyed ourselves.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

• 2 months later...

Just a quick note as we had dinner here last Friday night with a party of six (back room with reservations). The food was universally liked (we ordered all the verdure as well as a vegetable side special for apps - snap peas with pancetta) and everyone ordered their own main - some pastas and some plates (I had the pork shoulder).

If anything, the service has improved...we had a really good waiter, and the wine guy was also nice and accommodating - it's rosato time, in my book, and we had a few bottles of fairly priced rosato. Along with 3 shared desserts, our friends were surprised at the gentleness of the bill, which came to about $100 a couple.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 3 weeks later...

A stroll past Lupa this evening at 7:30 revealed six empty seats at the bar. Almost in shock, I took one and ordered a refreshing cocktail suggested by one of the two very friendly bartenders (CioCiaro, maraschino, lemon/lime juice squeezed in front of me). Had 2 specials - greenmarket tomato salad with slivers of red onion and basil, ridiculously simple and good. What followed literally turned my day around: thick homemade tagliatelle with fresh corn, chanterelles and basil, with some cheese and a bit (ahem) of butter. Summer goodness. The food here is excellent. Reminded why I love this place.

• 3 weeks later...

Very solid meal at Lupa tonight. Walked in around nine or so and was told there was a 30 minute wait. Saw two seats at the bar, so we quickly hopped on those. We'd already done a bit of beer drinking before, so we were in the mood for something hearty enough to soak up some of the alcohol but not so rich as to leave us filling ill. The quick meal we put together fit the bill perfectly.

Split a primo of carbonara, which the kitchen put in two plates without being asked. Based on pastas I've had here in the past, the split seems to give you a bit more for your money. Nice and peppery, and I really liked what ever pork product they use--pancetta or guanciale, I can't quite tell--with the creamy sauce binding everything together. I thought the large chunks of green onion a bit heavy handed, however.

For mains, a striped bass with fennel and corn. Nice, clean end of summer dish. Very tasty with different textures and notes of sweetness. Kind of plopped on the plate off-center, though, so not the tightest presentation. This is fault of pretty much all of the Batali restaurants I've noted before. Our other main was the Tuesday special of crispy duck. For $22 this was a deal. A half duck, probably braised then roasted. Killer and easily shareable for two as a main course.

Bartender was friendly, but the food took a little while to get out. We seemed to come right on the back edge of the main rush. Best of all, we left for less than $40/person. I find that ordering wine at this restaurant really bumps it into that next price level and reduces its QPR. For the food alone, however, this place is pretty sweet. My friend thought it much better than Perbacco.

• 4 months later...

My friend took me out for a birthday dinner tonight at Lupa. Everything was very good, but I want to particularly recommend the butternut squash appetizer, which comes with pickled onion slices, and the braised oxtail secondo. Both were in my opinion standout delicious items.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Had dinner at Lupa this past week, and after I don't know how many chef changes, the food is still VERY good.

We started with the Affetati Grande (we were a hungry group) and the standouts to me were the testa (who makes testa this good?) and the cured or pickled veal tongue, which was almost corned beef like in taste and texture. And so delicious. To supplement the meats, we also indulged in the brussels sprouts veg appetizer, which when I make at home, guests flip-out over how delicious raw brussels can be.

As our primi, we actually shared one of the house special pastas that night - Papparadelle with a Veal Ragu, with perfectly cooked house-made pasta, that made me glad we decided to go with the extra course before our secondi.

I ordered the Saltimbocca, which was juicy and salty and everything I always want my Lupa saltimbocca to be...if there's a better version in this city, please let me know where. My dining companions had Bavette Cacio & Pepe (some people can't have enough of the pastas) and the daily special, Roasted Pork "Arista". What little I could steal away from them was tasty as well, but when your dining companions start to get that look in their eyes, stay away from their plates, please.

Service was great - our first bottle of wine was slightly corked, and was whisked away and replaced with grace. I've always liked the casual yet professional service here.

While this night's was not an inexpensive meal, (and we did have 3 cocktails and 2 bottles of wine), Lupa still remains one of the better bargains for food this good.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Actually, one of your dining companions had the pork shoulder off the regular menu, which he prefers to the pork loin off the "daily specials" menu.

Oh shit, I knew there was more than one thing I couldn't remember.

I love the shoulder over the loin.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 2 years later...

A couple of years down the road, and Lupa finally has its NY Times review (proper).

I agree with most everything Asimov has to say about the place, especially...

At off hours — a late night, a midafternoon — Lupa continues to be delightful, satisfying and attentive. At prime times, Lupa feels more like commerce than cucina. I wish it were the other way around.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Lupa was my stand-by New York city treat when I was still a student and made it down on the bus. I could go at off hours, and just about afford it. Now that I can definitely afford it, I can never get in, because I have to go when everyone else is there.

The review reminds me that I need to make a trip soon.

A couple of years down the road, and Lupa finally has its NY Times review (proper).

I agree with most everything Asimov has to say about the place, especially...

At off hours — a late night, a midafternoon — Lupa continues to be delightful, satisfying and attentive. At prime times, Lupa feels more like commerce than cucina. I wish it were the other way around.

This is so true.

What's also interesting, at least in my opinion, is that some of the dishes we found so ground breaking years ago (raw brussels sprouts dressed with olive oil and pecorino! house-cured tuna! warm testa!) are now practically de rigueur in any number of restaurants.

Be that as it may, that's no excuse for tired versions of those same dishes.

And the place never has felt quite the same without the Denton touch in the front of the house.

Tasty Travails - My Blog