• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

korean pickled crabs

Anyone have experience in making a korean dish called gae jang?

It is raw crabs (blue around where I live) pickled in soy sauce.

I would appreciate the process you used to clean the crabs and make this dish.

HI!!! I'm here lurking...I love soy sauce pickled crabs but I have no idea how to make them. I just know how to eat them ): Squeeze out all the guts on the rice and eat with a spoon. Or better yet add rice to the inside of the shell, stir, and then insert into mouth.

The ONLY thing I know about making these crabs is that you need to cook the soy sauce and ginger before you add it to the crabs. Apparently if you don't "it tastes like crap"

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

• 3 weeks later...

Like the spicey but love the soy version. I think Hannaone recipe is pretty good and have found a similar recipe on the net as well. But I am still too chicken to make it at home. I'm same way on Yookwhea (korean steak tartar). I don't want to poison myself.

Have bought the soy and spicy version at the local k-grocery store. Outragously expensive but it was so good.

If you haven't had pickled crab, you don't know what you are missing.

Soup