• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stand for Matfer Exoglass Boullion Strainer (Chinois)

sygyzy

I have a Matfer Strainer which is 7 7/8" in diameter and 10" tall. It is very painful and awkward to hold it on one hand (loaded with soup or stock) and push the contents through with the other. Talk about tiring. I don't have a stand for it and I don't think Matfer makes one either. I was thinking of finding a cylindrical container for it in which I can rest the top lip of the strainer on, with the bottom not touching the base of the container. Unfortunately, this is easier said than done. Finding a container with those dimensions (narrower than 8" but taller than 10" is difficult.

Does anyone have a similar problem? Any suggestions?

I have the exact same problem! No suggestions, really, except to try and find someone to fabricate something, which might actually be a possibility. There's a wrought-iron place here where they actually make things to order. Wrought-iron is probably not the best material for this kind of thing, but I can't think of anything else. If I get around to asking/having one made, I'll let you know.

Have you tried one of these?

http://www.kitchenwaresetc.com/debuyer-stainless-steel-strainer-stands-5090560.html

I use them for even my jumbo-sized conical strainer. Works great - I just had to bend it out a bit at the top to accommodate the larger diameter.

To get a bit of extra height I sometimes put the feet into shot glasses that have 1 inch thick bottoms but usually don't bother for most stock or fruit things.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 4 weeks later...