• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Chocolate

prairiegirl

22 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

If you were foolish enough to consider exploring how to make a pink hot chocolate, how would you go about it?  Use Ruby chocolate, ground up? A touch of powdered color in a Ghiradelli white cocoa mix?  I haven't tasted the ruby chocolate to know if it's any good or not, so this could be a fool's errand.

Skip the white chocolate. The cocoa fat won't do anything valuable when warm. You better just use flavorful milk fat. The other things in white chocolate are milk powder and vanilla. I'd just use condensed milk.

Flavor wise, maybe go with rose water (and some color, artificial or some beet juice). You can top it with pistachio and dried rose petals. Or go with pink fruits, the raspberry suggested by others sounds great, and while I do like it with dark chocolate, it also works with cream flavors, and will pair well here. So will strawberries. Don't forget some vanilla.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

On 12/26/2020 at 2:24 PM, curls said:

I don’t care for the taste of the Ruby chocolate

Me neither. I had it in my shopping cart from one of the online vendors I use to order chocolate. I randomly came across a bar made from it at the local store one day and bought one to give it a try. Glad I did, I removed it from my cart. It's not that I thought it was bad, it was just nowhere near good enough for me to be willing to pay what it costs.

On 12/27/2020 at 6:30 AM, teonzo said:

- make a thin outer shell with Valrhona's Raspberry Inspiration (you can mix it with some white chocolate, to make it a paler pink and save on costs);

- add a second layer of dark chocolate to the sphere, because yes dark chocolate for hot chocolate;

- include rose-flavored marshmallows inside the sphere.

Do it with heart shaped molds, instead of spheres, and you are game for the 14th February. You can start producing at the beginning of January if you like your bed and you bank account.

You've been spying on me! :P :D I don't have plans for rose flavored marshmallows and I had the strawberry inspirations in mind but otherwise, this very thing is already in my "maybe" notes. Although, I've been trying very hard to not order heart shaped molds so it may never happen.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

22 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Although, I've been trying very hard to not order heart shaped molds so it may never happen.

Why not? They have a great return over investment. From what I understand you produce some chocolates at home, so covering their cost should be pretty quick. And you make happy a lot of people.

Teo

Teo

1 minute ago, teonzo said:

Why not? They have a great return over investment. From what I understand you produce some chocolates at home, so covering their cost should be pretty quick. And you make happy a lot of people.

Teo

Yeah, my chocolate work is a home thing and scheduled around my 6 days/week at the restaurant so not large production at all. But I also told myself going in that I wasn't going to get caught by the mold monster. Trying to stick with more each of a few rather than a few each of more right now.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.