• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One Breakfast in NYC

jrichman

My only option would be to get on the L Train and head over to Egg. I haven't been there in a while but last time I went there was a line when I left. It was a Friday morning. It was disturbing.

A lot of places in Manhattan do breakfast, but are not impressive. So when I have my day off I stick to my regulars. Stage by my old apartment on 2nd Ave but I doubt thats what ur looking for.

Then there's Gottino on Greenwich Ave. They open at 8am I believe and you can even get some boar pate, nettle meadow kunik cheese, waffles, espresso, crepes, whatever. If its decent outside you can sit in the back, but i prefer the bar seating.

But Egg was my all time favourite. Two poached eggs, grits, bacon, broiled tomato, hash browns, beet greens, grapefruit juice, and more hash browns. And if your nuts you can hang around and when it hits noon head over Peter Luger for a burger before the crowd comes. I miss my days off...

Clinton Street Baking Company for blueberry pancakes with maple butter or a biscuit sandwich with tomato jame, eggs, and cheese, but only on weekdays. Shopsin's if you don't mind the atmosphere, swearing, close quarters, and odd hours. But, hey, bacon and egg pancakes with good maple syrup and their housemade hot sauce.

Otherwise, Locanda Verde is at the top of my list right now: ricotta cheese with truffled honey on burnt orange toast, and the Uova Modenese (poached eggs with cotechino hash, spinach, and tomato hollandaise)!

I like Prune, too, but the lines are too long, and their menu's been the same for ages and ages, so I'm a little burnt out on it.

Skip Norma's.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Yes -- they have a stall (more like a large corner) in the Essex Street Market. 9-3, Tuesday-Saturday. Not recommended for picky eaters, groups > 4, people with allergies, people who mind cursing, etc.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Yes -- they have a stall (more like a large corner) in the Essex Street Market. 9-3, Tuesday-Saturday. Not recommended for picky eaters, groups > 4, people with allergies, people who mind cursing, etc.

Not only is it not recommended for groups >4, I don't even think theyll seat you with more than 4.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 weeks later...