• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BYO Article in LA Times

Beachfan

Here's the link to egullet's main thread on the subject:

BYO egullet thread

Here's the link to a couple of LA Times articles from yesterday

BYO LA Times

The gist of the article is that Fat-Guy was pretty right on regarding how restauranteurs feel. And that we Californians, who have been treated very very nicely when we want to bring our own, may no longer be treated that way.

It also talks to BYOers, and even Manfred Krankel (winemaker extraordinaire and former GM of Camponile) to get the other side. Manfred is a big proponent of BYO (but then again, he is the "former" GM).

While I still feel my reasons are valid (I'm a collector and want a place to drink my wine with good food), I am no longer under the illusion that the warm welcome I get implies happiness on the part of the restauranteur.

The only error I found was that it labeled $20-$25 corkage fee as high. Personally, I find it very reasonable, and have accepted Jean Georges $75. (I'm just looking for mutually acceptable, affordable options).

beachfan

• 2 months later...

As someone who is lucky enough to live in a city chock full of BYOB restaurants (Philadelphia), I love being able to bring what I want to go with my food and not have to pay 3 or 4 times mark up for wine (recently saw a $12 bottle of wine selling for $42 at a fine restaurant). But, when restaurants charge $25-30 for a corkage fee, how can this be considered BYOB? It's not. They are still gouging you just to bring in your own wine. $75 corkage fee? Absolutely absurd in my book! I guess I'm spoiled.

I had trouble following the link you supplied, Beachfan. Are these the pieces you're talking about:

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/cl-fo...rk13nov13.story

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/cl-fo...st13nov13.story

Probably not because they're from November. But I can't find what you're talking about. Help!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Senor Shaw:

Have any new research as fuel for the fire?

I haven't eaten out in LA enough recently to notice a change. The only time was when I called Campanille and asked how they felt about it, got a cheery "oh it's fine!" response, and then got the artic reception from the waiter, as if I had brought Gallo (it was a very nice William Selyem). The food was quite mediocre, so I guess they don't want me and I don't want them. (Corkage was $20).

Picholine was very gracious and excellent service. I was happy to pay the corkage ($50 for one bottle; I bought another off their list - Kunin Viognier, excelletn, only double retail when most of their list is triple). The meal was off the charts good.

beachfan