• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Knife in Two: What To Do?

Chris Amirault

Henckels had problems in the past as a result of their change from one piece construction to welding. If the break was on the blade close to the bolster, that was probably the weld failing. I believe they have reverted to forging since the, for their top end lines, but not necessarily for their outsourced production.

That's exactly where the break was. Is the Four Star line considered "top end" nowadays? It used to be, but I know things have moved on somewhat.

John Rosevear

"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger

That's exactly where the break was. Is the Four Star line considered "top end" nowadays? It used to be, but I know things have moved on somewhat.

Technically it is, but it tends to be the one "top end" line that they discount heavily. It was manufactured by their self-acclaimed "sinter technology", but I am unsure as to whether it still is so, or if it is truly forged again. But its a decent enough knife all the same, in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...