• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birthday Dinner in Tokyo

et alors

I arrive in Tokyo around 2 pm, and fly on to Bangkok the next evening (I get two days in Japan on the way back as well). I assume some jetlag, but if I did my math right, I should be in good shape for a committed dinner on Oct 22nd, my birthday. I will be dining alone. I am not particular about style of cuisine, just as long as it's marvelous.

What would you pick? (and any other bits of japan you would pack in?)

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

I'd second Ryugin, but if you want something other than Japanese cuisine, Monna Lisa (French) in the Marunouchi Building is pretty spectacular. If you crave excellent Italian, you might try Piatto Suzuki in Azabu Juban.

Japanese sounds best, and Ryugin sounds fabulous, but I'm worried about getting in at this late date. any second choices (I'm staying in Ginza, if that helps... )

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

You'd probably have had a better chance a week ago when the first replies were made, but you could still try. Thursday nights aren't the most popular reservations, or they may have had a last minute cancellation.

You could also try tempura. There are a few high-end tempura places in the Ginza area. Ask your concierge to recommend one or do a search online (Chow has a very active community of high-end diners).