• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bread Pans

Aloha Steve

I have 9 & 9.5 x 5 & 5.3 (respectively) X 5 " loaf pans which I used to make bread recipes calling for 8 x 4 x 2 bread pans.

One finished recipe was a complete bust with the loafs not rising during baking and the other tasted good, looked as it should but did not have the hight of the usual size of a slice of a wheat bread, which is what I made. I believe the end result on the 2nd bake, was not smaller by 1 inch but more like 3".

Would it mattered if I used the 8x4x2 loaf pan as opposed to what I did ?

Does size really matter when its that close, in bread baking ?

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

The pan provides support for the loaf and will determine the height. Using a larger pan than the recipe calls for will give you a lower, flatter loaf. The big bread pans are usually for white breads which generally triple in volume, the smaller ones for whole grain breads which generally double in volume and do need more support.

Certain ingredients, like whole wheat flour, act like mini-razorblades and cut gluten strands into short bits, meaning that they cannot develop the long networks of fibers which support more and larger gas bubbles. So, these breads are usually more dense and almost cake-like. Some do require a loaf pan to aid in supporting the structure as the dough rises.

Still, you may wish to check your yeast, make certain that your water isn't too hot, and always give enough proofing time. -Any of which could have caused your problems.