• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smith & Cross Traditional Jamaica Rum

Kent Wang

It's actually "Both Indies" -- from Wondrich's Killer Cocktails:

2 oz. Inner Circle Green (the 115-proof)

.75 oz lemon juice

.5 oz. Velvet Falernum

.25 oz. Grand Marnier

Two drops Angostura bitters floated on top

The problem, of course, is that Inner Circle isn't distributed anymore. Smith & Cross makes a decent substitute.

Anybody ever tried crossing Batavia Arrack with S&C plus other assorted ingredients? Seems like that would be a better representative for a drink called "Both Indies". Of course it also sounds a bit like Banks 5 Island rum...

It looks like Dan had a similar idea with his Shining Path cocktail (batavia arrack as the base with a float of S&C). I haven't tried this combo personally but it sounds like it should work.

Having Arrack and S&C and IC Green, I suspect that you could sub in .5 Arrack and 1.5 S&C to achieve something approximated IC. If you wanted that result, I mean. It's noticeably funkier than S&C. Incidentally, if anyone Stateside really, truly, madly wants some IC Green (or Red or Black [black is the highest proof variant avaliable]) and is happy to deal with the rather unfriendly postage charges, er, something can be arranged.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

• 1 year later...

This one was totally awesome. Designed to highlight all the things we love about S&C: the pungent funk, the mustiness, the weird esters, rotten banana, etc, with clever additions of batavia arrack, passion fruit syrup and maraschino liqueur. Thank You Rafa!!!

Snoop Lion (Rafa García Febles): Smith & Cross Jamaican rum, white grapefruit and lime juice, passion fruit syrup (B.G. Reynolds), batavia arrack, maraschino liqueur.

14985101602_6dcea8e2c7_z.jpg

• Like 1

This one was totally awesome. Designed to highlight all the things we love about S&C: the pungent funk, the mustiness, the weird esters, rotten banana, etc, with clever additions of batavia arrack, passion fruit syrup and maraschino liqueur. Thank You Rafa!!!

Snoop Lion (Rafa García Febles): Smith & Cross Jamaican rum, white grapefruit and lime juice, passion fruit syrup (B.G. Reynolds), batavia arrack, maraschino liqueur.

14985101602_6dcea8e2c7_z.jpg

How have I not made this before, this ticks every button for me!

Alas!  I have everything in house but passion fruit!  Wonder how it would be with grenadine or raspberry syrup?  Maybe pineapple syrup?

What do you do for white grapefruit this time of year?  My last half dozen white grapefruit are getting moldy...which I suppose adds to the pungent funk, the mustiness, the weird esters, rotten banana, etc.  Plenty of pink grapefruit cluttering up the stores.

After four days of white mai tais, having an S&C zombie at the moment.  I predict it will be a long, hard fall.

However, it is no secret II like the white mai tai better.  No less funk (actually to my taste more!) and only slightly less alcohol.  The only thing that can be said against the white mai tai is no S&C.

Edit:  only a quarter ounce arrack and Maraschino??  Why bother?

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Alas!  I have everything in house but passion fruit!  Wonder how it would be with grenadine or raspberry syrup?  Maybe pineapple syrup?

What do you do for white grapefruit this time of year?  My last half dozen white grapefruit are getting moldy...which I suppose adds to the pungent funk, the mustiness, the weird esters, rotten banana, etc.  Plenty of pink grapefruit cluttering up the stores.

Pineapple syrup might work, but please keep the grenadine and raspberry syrup away (shudder).

I have no problem at all finding white grapefruits right now. Even Trader Joe's has them in stock. I personally stay away from the pink stuff. Anything pink is evil.

• Like 1

I'll plan to give it a try, but I can't do much after a zombie.  Promise...no grenadine or raspberry.

My white grape fruit come from Florida, but the season ends in early spring.  Are your white grapefruit from California?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Pineapple syrup might work, but please keep the grenadine and raspberry syrup away (shudder).

I have no problem at all finding white grapefruits right now. Even Trader Joe's has them in stock. I personally stay away from the pink stuff. Anything pink is evil.

le vin rosé aussi?

Edited by Hassouni (log)

OK - I will make an exception for French pink things; rosé and rosé champagne are fine....

Hehehe, my Moroccan rosé is pretty good too...but French influence, after all...

I made a Kingston Negroni with these specs:

1 1/2 oz S&C

3/4 oz Punt e Mes

3/4 oz Campari 

2 ds Regan's

Big fat grapefruit twist

One big rock.

Sublime. 

My colleagues were less enthused about the Snoop Lion I made them than Mme. Frog was, however. 

Edited by Rafa (log)
  • Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Kingston Negroni sounds tasty.  I'm hoping a colleague who's in the UK at the moment is going to bring some S&C back for me, so that would be a good start.

And I'm sure you mean Madame Frog!

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory