• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smith & Cross Traditional Jamaica Rum

Kent Wang

I like them both, but mostly, I don't think they're comparable. I like Smith & Cross in some drinks, but in others, I think Appleton 12 works better. The S&C is just too funky for me in more delicate drinks.

At the risk of sounding like a wimp, I'm going to revise this statement. I've really been trying to like Smith & Cross, but I just don't. To me, it tastes like rum infused with dust balls and sweat socks. It's okay as a sub for the now unavailable Inner Circle in a Both Indies, but otherwise, I'm just not getting it.

I've really been trying to like Smith & Cross, but I just don't. To me, it tastes like rum infused with dust balls and sweat socks.

Are you speaking metaphorically? Or do you really mean you think it tastes like dust and sweat socks? Can you be more specific?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Okay, I'll try to be more specific. I get a hit of sweetness first, but quickly followed by a sort of mustiness (aka dust balls) and something acrid (aka sweat socks). Yes, I know it's high proof, and yes, it's funky, but to me not in a good way. I like a lot of strong flavors and funkiness in other products (Islay Scotches or Maraschino for instance), so I'm not sure why this strikes me as off. Maybe I'm just not mixing it right.

Real traditional Jamaica rum is intense stuff and definitely not for everyone. I hope I can be forgiven for posting this quotation from Doc Baker:

WORDS to the WISE No. V, on the MODIFICATION of JAMAICA RUM when LADY GUESTS ARE PRESENT

Never forget, please, that only 1 lady in 12 really likes the Jamaica rum taste. Therefore dilute the rum this way: 3 parts Cuban type to 1 of Jamaica. The aroma will be there and the full round Jamaica flavor too, but in a tempo inoffensive to the most rabid Jamaicaphobes.

I like it 50/50 with Bonal Gentiane Quina stirred/strained.

--

It's actually "Both Indies" -- from Wondrich's Killer Cocktails:

2 oz. Inner Circle Green (the 115-proof)

.75 oz lemon juice

.5 oz. Velvet Falernum

.25 oz. Grand Marnier

Two drops Angostura bitters floated on top

The problem, of course, is that Inner Circle isn't distributed anymore. Smith & Cross makes a decent substitute.

You got a name for that, Sam?

No name as yet. Interestingly (to me anyway) a number of the drinks I've come up with that I've liked enough to be proud of, continue making and which seem distinctive are 50/50 combinations. For example, I do one called the "Tango Sardo" which is a 50/50 cocktail compounded of Laird's bonded and Mirto di Sardegna.

--

... a sort of mustiness (aka dust balls) and something acrid (aka sweat socks)... it's funky, but to me not in a good way

... Smith & Cross makes a decent substitute.

Did a pair of polite Smith & Cross guys in black suits and white shirts knock on your door within the last 5 days? :)

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

• 1 month later...

Recently picked up a bottle of the Bonal just to try this unnamed 50/50 mix with S&C (one of my all-time favorite rums). Too late tonight, but soon. Any movement on an actual name?

Cheers,

Mike

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."

- Bogart

• 1 month later...

Making a punch this weekend for the annual Chaine des Rotisseurs picnic.

Rotisseurs Ruination

2 parts Smith & Cross rum

2 parts Orange-Passionfruit juice

1 part Dolin Rouge Vermouth

1 part lime juice

.5 part Batavia Arrack

.5 part simple syrup (to taste, more or less)

2 parts Sparkling wine

1 part Club Soda

Those of you with a sharp eye will see the structure of Mother's Ruin Punch with substitutions of rum for gin, Orange-Passionfruit juice for grapefruit, lime juice for lemon juice, Dolin Rouge and Batavia Arrack for Chai tea infused Martini & Rossi, and the addition of club soda to bring down the proof level a bit. Ought to be just the thing on a hot summer afternoon. I'll see if some good pictures are taken and post later.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 1 year later...

What I understand is that I can't get S&C in Australia. Sad story. I've heard such wonderful things.

What rum could I use in its stead in cocktails and such? A few recommendations would be ideal, I guess, as the selection of rums here is a sad, sad story.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

• 5 months later...

The LCBO has Smith & Cross in stock now! Marked as "limited quantities" and my local store, of course, doesn't have it. I'm going there tomorrow to start the begging process to try to get them to order a bottle for me. Wish me luck...

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

The LCBO has Smith & Cross in stock now! Marked as "limited quantities" and my local store, of course, doesn't have it. I'm going there tomorrow to start the begging process to try to get them to order a bottle for me. Wish me luck...

Looks like between the 3 stores that list it in Oakville there are about 30 bottles - if you have trouble let me know and I'll make sure I get it to you.

K

Looks like between the 3 stores that list it in Oakville there are about 30 bottles - if you have trouble let me know and I'll make sure I get it to you.

K

Thanks Kerry. I stopped by the local store yesterday, the head honcho wasn't in but I left my request with the guy that was there. I'll check in again tomorrow and see what the verdict is.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

The LCBO has Smith & Cross in stock now! Marked as "limited quantities"

30 bottles for an entire province? Still, anything is better than the Giant Sloth of the Forests of Bureaucracy which is BCLDB, where it seems they have a hate-on for rum - Alberta gets high-test Lemon Hart, you good people get S&C. BC gets, well, excused having to live in Alberta or Ontario, I suppose. Bah :wink:

The LCBO has Smith & Cross in stock now! Marked as "limited quantities"

30 bottles for an entire province? Still, anything is better than the Giant Sloth of the Forests of Bureaucracy which is BCLDB, where it seems they have a hate-on for rum - Alberta gets high-test Lemon Hart, you good people get S&C. BC gets, well, excused having to live in Alberta or Ontario, I suppose. Bah :wink:

There are more than 30 for the province, more like 700. Kerry was just talking about the stores in her area. I'm still waiting patiently for them to give in and bring the LH 151.

• 2 months later...

Upthread, Sam had suggested mixing S&C with Bonal. In the same vein, there is this cocktail.

Gramercy Tavern's Crossfire

1 oz Smith & Cross

1/2 oz Cherry Heering

1/2 oz Bonal

1/2 oz orange juice

3 dashes orange bitters

I used Luxardo Sangue Morlacco, and a Cara Cara orange (a type of Navel orange with a pink flesh). For the orange bitters I used Regan's + Fee.

It tasted a bit bitter from the Bonal at first sip (my husband thought for a second I had attempted sneaking some Campari in his drink), then an explosion of flavors. Intense - definitely a sipping drink.

8371206285_cf64db216c_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Rope Burn (Ron Dollete, aka LushAngeles).

Equal parts S&C, Bonal, Aperol.

Flamed grapefruit twist (discarded).

8388692702_767752c8b3_z.jpg

It is described here as a Negroni variation. It does not have the intense bitterness of the Negroni though, but you get a ton of crazy aromas from the S&C and Bonal combo.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

It's actually "Both Indies" -- from Wondrich's Killer Cocktails:

2 oz. Inner Circle Green (the 115-proof)

.75 oz lemon juice

.5 oz. Velvet Falernum

.25 oz. Grand Marnier

Two drops Angostura bitters floated on top

The problem, of course, is that Inner Circle isn't distributed anymore. Smith & Cross makes a decent substitute.

Anybody ever tried crossing Batavia Arrack with S&C plus other assorted ingredients? Seems like that would be a better representative for a drink called "Both Indies". Of course it also sounds a bit like Banks 5 Island rum...

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2