• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bhatti

Pan

I went to this fairly new restaurant in Curry Hill with my girlfriend last Sunday. We arrived a bit after 5 PM, as I recall, after an afternoon concert she took part in. A few people were finishing what was probably a late lunch for them. We almost left because it was too hot, but the staff put on the air conditioner, and when it got cool, we asked them to turn it off and they kept the fan on, which was perfect.

Both of us had an excellent meal there.

We had the following:

Ajwaini Jheenga

Khatte Baigan

Goat Curry

1 portion of rice and 1 naan

2 Salty Lassis (me) and 1 Mango Lassi (her)

The total bill was around $65 plus tip (I recall that the lassis were $3.95 apiece, the rice, $2.95, and the naan, $2.95, so things can mount up a bit quickly, but to be fair, the rice was high-quality basmati rice and nicely presented, with peas and cilantro.)

The Ajwaini Jheenga had a very evident and lovely ajwain flavor and was baked impeccably, though the portion was small - only 4 shrimps.

The Khatte Baigan was tasty and a large portion, suffering only from the common Indian restaurant phenomenon of overuse (from my point of view) of ghee or/and oil.

The Goat Curry was terrific! It was robustly spiced with chili and a bunch of other stuff.

I recommend this place and look forward to returning to try other items on the menu. But do watch out if you are sensitive to ghee and oil.

Bhatti Indian Grill

100 Lexington Av. (northwest corner of 28 St.)

(212) 683-4228

They also deliver through bhattinyc.com and seamlessweb.com or by phone, from 14th-48th Sts., 6th Av.-FDR Drive. The delivery menu mentions no minimum order for delivery, but I'm sure they have one.

Michael aka "Pan"