• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pancakes, Waffles, French Toast: Pick One.

To make at home? I make pancakes more often than waffles or French Toast. I would guess waffles would be second most made (though it's not super common) I too like a yeast raised batter. Make it at night. Go to bed. Wake up, batter is ready to go. French Toast gets made the least. I don't tend to have much bread on hand, and when I do, it's probably not a type that lends itself well to French toast.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Hands down its gotta be pancakes. When I was a kid I would have sworn I would never eat pancakes again because Mom made them three or four times a week. They were one of the few things she would cook from scratch.

I would have been wrong. I need my pancakes several times a month. Sometimes Buttermilk and sometimes Buckwheat. Buckwheat slathered with Apple Butter is to die for.

French toast, made from challah sliced a little more than an inch thick. Nothing else compares. Doesn't matter what you top it with -- maple syrup, honey, peach sauce, caramelized bananas, blueberry syrup.

But never, never, never with confectioner's sugar or cinnamon sugar sprinkled over it!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My usual choice is pancakes, they're a personal fave.

Crepes are king, though ... they do anything. Sweet, savory, simple, fancy, breakfast, dinner, dessert, plain, stuffed with anything. Love em.

French toast is lower on my list since I'm not a big egg eater, but I love it for the traditional purpose: getting rid of stale bread. I'm happy to eat it any morning if it's not too soggy.

Waffles are more of an occasional treat. They sit at the bottom of my list because they require special gear to make, and to me aren't quite worth owning the gear. I have them at pancake houses, or at motels that have the do-it-yourself waffle iron.

Notes from the underbelly

French toast is lower on my list since I'm not a big egg eater, but I love it for the traditional purpose: getting rid of stale bread. I'm happy to eat it any morning if it's not too soggy.

That is the reason I developed my "mock" French toast process - preparing bread pudding in a loaf pan, then slicing the finished loaf and frying the slices. Quick, no mess and people love it.

It also works beautifully for sandwiches as the filling is placed after the first side has been browned and then covered when the other slice is done on both sides.

Especially good with chopped apples in cider syrup with browned sausage patty.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

All of these are made from scratch in my kitchen

Pancakes are fun and can be made in many different ways, but requires some serious work that I frankly don't want to do the first thing in the morning.

Yeasted waffles need time to be made right and requires a waffle iron... another tool to fill up the kitchen.

French toast is just leftover challah, egg, milk,and spices (and sometimes rum or bourbon). All of which are stocked in my kitchen. I might even "french toast" a sandwich of peanut butter, bananas, and honey. That's my first choice.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Pancakes 1st, waffles 2nd, french toast a distant 3rd. My wife's exactly the opposite, my two daughters take both sides, but don't really care so long as there's plenty of syrup.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

I love waffles and do make them occasionally, but they're more of a sweet treat. My vote will have to go for French Toast. It's something that can be thrown together quickly and it's so substantial and satisfying. I love it with crusty french bread, and cooked on high heat so it's moist yet browns beautifully (I'll usually brown my butter first too). Served with either fruit syrup or maple syrup. It's the perfect brunch on a rainy weekend.

I've never been particularly fond of pancakes. I'll eat them if that's all there is, but they're definitely a distant third.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

I think I crave all of them at different times and for different reasons, but I'd have to say waffles. Sweet treat though they may be, I'd hate to see what would happen to the world if I couldn't put a piece of fried chicken on some breakfast food.

Pancakes are too utilitarian. They're an easy go-to carb for slow, Sunday mornings. French toast is fun, but unless I'm making it myself I can usually expect something either too soggy or too dry. That sweet spot is hard to find at a lot of places.

But a crispy waffle, little bit of butter, little bit of syrup, little bit of hot sauce, piece of fried chicken with it? Truly, this is the breakfast of truck driving gods.

I choose...bacon.

With pancakes.

Why? The most interesting taste profle + maximum nostalgia value.

Mine are relatively commplex. Dry = KA flour, toasted wheat germ, sometimes unsweetened dessicated coconut, a little plain granola, pinch of salt. Wet = milk, egg, plain yogurt or sour cream. Optional = blueberries in season, banana. Local maple syrup, natch.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer