• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I am considering buying some Tri-ply saute pans from ProCook and wanted inside info from anyone who has bought from them. Are they any good? They are certainly significantly cheaper than any of the branded stuff.

Hi Thampic,

I don't know if this is the same tr-ply range ( swiss marco Pierre White launched and stocked in Selfridges) but they are always on special offer at TK Max! ( I know it is not exactly Divetimenti) but a couple of years ago I bought a saute pan which is utterly fantastic no hot spots and it really performs well. I think the rrp was about £90 and I bought it for £27. I have bought some others since all really low prices, stock pots, grill pans etc. I am not quite sure how TK Max buy their stock,liquidation I think? but they always have a large number of these pans. I also have a set of those lovely expensive french steak knives Laguiole in lovely colours really cheaply also. They seem to always have these in stock too.

My motto is never buy a new Salt & Pepper grinder or anything Boden ( two lovely modern wine decanters and a tea pot!) without visiting a branch of TKMax first!But ignore the expensive chocolate and olive oil section it is awfull!

Gosh reading this back it just makes me realise I shop too much!

Hi Lorna

Thanks for that - I had completely forgotten about TKMaxx. The only catch is that I am looking for something like a 28/30" pan, and can't recall seeing one of that size available. A trip to TKMaxx beckons!

My motto is never buy a new Salt & Pepper grinder or anything Boden ( two lovely modern wine decanters and a tea pot!) without visiting a branch of TKMax first!But ignore the expensive chocolate and olive oil section it is awfull!

I know what you mean - I had (have!) three salt and pepper mills each - I somehow managed to stop myself with a Peugeot set from France.

Krishnan

I have a ProCook outlet not very far away.

They seem to sell more 'shiny' stuff than 'pro' stuff, as compared to (for example) my remembrance of Leon Jaeggi.

Even at the outlet, I rarely see things cheap enough to be tempting.

But I have bought knives from them when extraordinarily deeply discounted - even more so than the present half price offers.

The knives look good and feel good, but the steel is fairly ordinary. (OK, great for the price I paid.) However, now that I have an Edge Pro Apex to keep them properly in shape, I notice that they are the knives I seem to be reaching for.

So, the knives could be interesting - particularly if you have a proper sharpener (or stones). I'm NOT talking about a steel - if in doubt take a look at Chad's sharpening tutorial or buy his book 'An Edge in the Kitchen'.

Now I have to decide whether I really feel the need for a boning knife ...

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan