• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tea Tasting: 2009 Spring Norbu - Lao Mansa Sheng Pu-Erh Tea

Richard Kilgore

Today I am brewing this tea again, in the gaiwan, about 2 grams to 2 ounces of water, and drinking it with some fine cheddar, sopressata, and bread. In another topic we were discussing tea with food, and I have to say that tea stands up to the spicy, savory flavors of this meal superbly. The fruitiness and sweetness is perfect counterpoint to it.

Happy camper here.

I spent yesterday drinking this tea from the leaves that I had started on the 9th.

I lost track of how many infusions but I was up to 6.5 minutes and was maybe on my 8th or ninth cup when I finally switched to an evening tea.

I greatly enjoyed this new pu erh and thank Greg from Norbu tea for sharing it with us and Richard for organizing the tasting.

Most people who buy Pu-erh for aging buy at least three beengs, one of them for sampling over the years, since a Pu-erh is not considered to be aged unless it is at least 10 years old. This is much like buying a case or two of a fine wine and opening a bottle every few years to see how it is developing. I don't buy green Pu-erh for aging because it is so difficult to predict what it will be like in even a few years, not to mention 10 or 20 or 30. But lots of people do, knowing there's a significant risk that they will end up with 2 beengs, or a tong or more of a pu they really, really don't like...or that is just boring. Some people think they are better off buying a green pu that's at least 3 years old in order to get a better sense of how it will age. Of course you'll pay significantly more for a pu in 3 years, compared to its first year, so that's the cost of a little bit of insurance. You takes yer chances and you pays yer dues.

So I would buy this very pleasant pu for drinking over the next year. I would give it as gifts. I just would not be someone whose goal is to age it.

I have been reading about how aging alters puerh, some detailed accounts that are all about chemistry, and some poetic flights of fancy about how fabulous old pu makes you feel, and I think it will be fun to see the process up close for once.

This is the first pu I've tasted that has such an interesting mix of things I really really like (the wonderful sweet and fruity and spicey notes) and dislike (significant bitterness if I brew it too hot). So, I'm curious to see if the sweet and spicey and fruity stay and amplify as the bitter fades.

I'm getting a single beeng, and will break off some now and then and drink it see if I like it better or not over time. If it gets better, terrific, and if starts to lose any of the good qualities, I'll just drink the rest faster. This is play, and will bear no relationship to the controlled, monitored, serious aging of a dealer or serious connoisseur.