• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buttercream centers for chocolates

mostlylana

7 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I think I might just add the cream of coconut, rum and lime juice in addition, as the flavoring for the recipe above. 

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Just wasn't sure with the fondant and cream of coconut both being so sweet if I should reduce the fondant.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

13 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Just wasn't sure with the fondant and cream of coconut both being so sweet if I should reduce the fondant.

Why not use unsweetened coconut cream.

2 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Why not use unsweetened coconut cream.

Because I'm a big dummy and didn't think of that. :D I'd already bought cream of coconut because I was sure I'd seen a recipe for a ganache that called for it and then couldn't find that recipe anywhere after purchasing it (which has my questioning if I ever actually saw it) but it can be used for actual tiki drinks instead so that's not an issue.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

22 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I'd already bought cream of coconut because I was sure I'd seen a recipe for a ganache that called for it and then couldn't find that recipe anywhere after purchasing it (which has my questioning if I ever actually saw it) but it can be used for actual tiki drinks instead so that's not an issue.

Ok, I'm not losing my mind... at least, if I am, this can no longer be presented as evidence. I did see a recipe that called for white chocolate, cream of coconut (the sweetened Coco Lopez type) and butter. It also contains curry powder, it's the Madras from Chocolates and Confections. I went through the book again because I kept thinking that's where I'd seen it and finally stumbled across it. I'd intended to make it minus the curry powder and see what I thought of the coconut flavor before trying to work some rum and lime into it. So now I guess I'll make a small batch along with a small batch of the buttercream and see which I like better.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Ok, I'm not losing my mind... at least, if I am, this can no longer be presented as evidence. I did see a recipe that called for white chocolate, cream of coconut (the sweetened Coco Lopez type) and butter. It also contains curry powder, it's the Madras from Chocolates and Confections. I went through the book again because I kept thinking that's where I'd seen it and finally stumbled across it. I'd intended to make it minus the curry powder and see what I thought of the coconut flavor before trying to work some rum and lime into it. So now I guess I'll make a small batch along with a small batch of the buttercream and see which I like better.

I have a recipe (from an ancient Bon Appétit) that calls for making truffles from (sweetened) cream of coconut, chopped macadamias, white chocolate, dark rum, lime zest, and toasted coconut flakes. Sounds a bit similar to what you are thinking of. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I know you already have the coco lopez, but have you tried coconut cream powder?  Good when you don't want to add liquid and not sweetened, might work with the fondant.  It comes in 2oz/60g -ish packets for a dollar or two.

13 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

I have a recipe (from an ancient Bon Appétit) that calls for making truffles from (sweetened) cream of coconut, chopped macadamias, white chocolate, dark rum, lime zest, and toasted coconut flakes. Sounds a bit similar to what you are thinking of. 

Minus the macadamias and the coconut flakes and with the addition of some lime juice to add a little tartness and balance, that sounds similar to what I was going for. I know coconut and lime is a common combo, I was just going to model mine after the Coconaut tiki drink by making it more rum-forward. I was going for a rum trio, the Dark and Stormies from Chocolates and Confections in dark chocolate, this one modeled after the Coconaut in white chocolate and I'm hoping to come up with one using milk chocolate as well, still working on that.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

9 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

I know you already have the coco lopez, but have you tried coconut cream powder?  Good when you don't want to add liquid and not sweetened, might work with the fondant.  It comes in 2oz/60g -ish packets for a dollar or two.

Using the Coco Lopez for this isn't important to me, I only bought it because the recipe I was going to use as my base called for it. I'll be surprised if they sell coconut cream powder in the local store but I can check amazon. Thanks!

12 minutes ago, tikidoc said:

If you have a local Asian grocery (especially Thai), you should be able to get coconut cream powder.

We have a local grocery store that has improved over the years but still would be considered sadly lacking in most areas, any form of ethnic market doesn't exist within 5 or 6 hours of where I live. To get an idea of where I am, drive to the U.S. - Canada border at International Falls in Minnesota, cross, then drive north-east for about 3 hours until you've seen nothing but trees for a while... then turn due north and drive another hour. If you blink at the wrong moment and miss the town, you'll go north another few hours before you see anything else besides more trees. :D

• Like 2

On 4/8/2018 at 6:55 PM, Tri2Cook said:

Did you ever try this recipe from C&C? I hated it. But my grocery store didn’t have Coco Lopez brand, it only had Coco Real. I chucked it because I thought it was so gross. 

Sorry—off topic. 

Edited by Pastrypastmidnight (log)

5 hours ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

Did you ever try this recipe from C&C? I hated it. But my grocery store didn’t have Coco Lopez brand, it only had Coco Real. I chucked it because I thought it was so gross. 

Sorry—off topic. 

I haven't tried it. It was just something I was considering, minus the curry powder. I'm probably going to make a very tiny amount of it since I already have the cream of coconut sitting here just so I can decide for myself if it's something I want to make use of.

21 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I haven't tried it. It was just something I was considering, minus the curry powder. I'm probably going to make a very tiny amount of it since I already have the cream of coconut sitting here just so I can decide for myself if it's something I want to make use of.

Let me know what you think. We love Indian food and I thought I’d love it, but it just tasted off to me. 

40 minutes ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

Let me know what you think. We love Indian food and I thought I’d love it, but it just tasted off to me. 

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

It was just something I was considering, minus the curry powder.

But I'm not going to be adding the madras curry powder called for in the recipe so I can't really give you a fair opinion. I'm just investigating it for it's coconut flavor potential.

• 6 months later...