• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pumpkin Cheesecake

ElsieD

I am making a Pumpkin Cheesecake for Thanksgiving dessert which in Canada is this weekend. The recipe I am making calls for bourbon. Since we never, ever, use bourbon and the recipe calls for only 2 teaspoons (in the topping) can someone suggest a suitable substitute?

What are the ingredients for the topping? Perhaps the bourbon can be eliminated altogether.

Theresa :smile:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

Thanks, all, for your responses.

I have just about every liquor in the house, but no dark rum, however I can get some. I have a lot of little bottles that I've gathered over time for the same reason as bourbon is called for in this recipe - a teaspoon of this, a tablespoon of that. Only problem is, you can't buy little bottles of bourbon in Canada and buying a regular bottle is a waste of money as I wouldn't use it again. I also have most liquours. I have amaretto, so could use that. The recipe I am using consists of heavy cream, sour cream, light brown sugar, a dash of salt and bourbon. The cheesecake has all the traditional spices in it. Is dark rum a better flavour to use than amaretto?

Thanks again.

Is dark rum a better flavour to use than amaretto?

That depends on which one you like better! Personally, I'd rather have brandy (or Canadian whisky, if you've got any) than rum with a pumpkin dessert, but that's just personal preference. Really, any type of liquor should work, so it just depends on what flavour you want. If you've got stuff lying around the house, there's probably no need to rush out and buy anything new, if you don't think you're going to use it.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara