• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate & Confectionery Workshop 2010 [PLAN]

lebowits

After the success of the 2009 eGullet Confectionery Workshop arranged by Kerry Beal, I've taken on the challenge to organize the 2nd of these events tentatively scheduled for April 16 - 18, 2010 to be held in Gaithersburg, Maryland outside of Washington, DC.

Click here for the terms under which this event is listed in eG Forums.

This topic will be used to track interest from all who would like to participate, "register" those of us who will be in attendance, and collaborate on developing the agenda.

First: The location. I've gained commitment to use the facilities of my culinary alma mater, L'Academie de Cuisine (LAC), in Gaithersburg, MD. We will have use of one kitchen and the adjoining "classroom" for the two days of Saturday April 17 and Sunday April 18. Immediately next door, to LAC is Albert Uster Imports (AUI), a large chocolate importer and pastry supply house.

I've spoken with the Corporate Pastry Chef, Anil Rohira, who is a world class pastry chef, chocolatier, and sugar artist. Anil has tentatively agreed to host us for about 1/2 day on Friday April 16 for a demonstration and discussion on a topic as yet to-be-determined.

I believe we can reasonably accommodate between 20 - 25 people at this event. It is open to all, regardless of skill level or experience. It is my hope that like the 2009 event, we will have a broad range of skills represented so that those more experienced can teach/mentor others, and that we will all learn something from each other.

COST As with all things, we need to pay for facilities, supplies, breakfast/lunch, etc. Tentatively, I have set a price point of $150 per participant which at the moment seems like it will cover all we need. For now this is only an ESTIMATE, but I think it's a reasonable one.

As we get closer toward the end of the year, I'll being collecting names of those who would like to attend. Several hotels are near the school and I'll look to setup a group rate once I have the dates finalized with LAC.

I would like to invite you to begin the conversation with a discussion of WHAT would you like to DO during this weekend? What items would you like to see on our agenda?

Speak up! Let's have some fun!

HOST'S NOTE: This is an member-organized event, not an official eGullet Society event. Please see here for the terms under which this event is listed in eG Forums.

Edited by heidih
Add moderator note (log)

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

I'd love to do a little showpiece work. It's something in which I feel quite weak.

I always learn something, no matter what - I suspect I'll learn just as much from the rest of you - seeing how you do things as from an official instructor.

If there is something you want me to cover - just let me know and I'll make sure I prepare.

If I can work out the transportation, I'm in. I had a lot of fun last year, and because I'm still new to this, pretty much anything you do would be great for me. But the chemist side of me has always been fascinated by glassblowing---so I'd love to see some sugar blowing, maybe have an opportunity to give it a shot myself.

MelissaH

Edited by MelissaH (log)

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

My calendar is open, but I would like to know how much experience a person should have before considering participation. My experience is limited to classes I have taken, making candy for a sweet table at a few events. Most of my experience is in molding chocolates.

I would not want to be a detriment to the rest of the group, to whom this is probably all second-nature. Would I fit in without making the rest of the group impatient?

Theresa :smile:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

As a grad of L'Academie de Cuisine, I'd love to make it, but unfortunately I live in Ecuador right now!

However, I'd be glad to contribute from afar regarding curriculum, student questions before and after the course, and any other way you think I might be of help. I'm here to answer any questions regarding techniques in chocolate making, as well as questions about actually processing cacao and making chocolate, especially since I am in Ecuador and very close to the actual source!

Thanks,

Edited by Marmalade (log)

Jeffrey Stern

www.jeffreygstern.com

http://bit.ly/cKwUL4

http://destination-ecuador.net

cocoapodman at gmail dot com

Count me in! The weekend at Niagara on the Lake was such an enjoyable experience,

I'll make it a point to attend next year's weekend!

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help with the planning and/or class.

I think I'll drive up next time, and can fill the car with equipment, tools and books.

Mary

Beaches Pastry

May your celebrations be sweet!

Beaches Pastry Blog

I'd love to come. I can't wait for more info! What about some quick tutorial on various ways to work with dusts, colored cocoa butters, etc? Its probably a subject that all of us - regardless of skill level - can effectively contribute ideas, designs, and techniques to as well as learn a great deal from. That aspect always seems to gather a ton of interest on the forums. Showpiece work would be nice as well....

Edited by pringle007 (log)

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me

My calendar is open, but I would like to know how much experience a person should have before considering participation. My experience is limited to classes I have taken, making candy for a sweet table at a few events. Most of my experience is in molding chocolates.

I would not want to be a detriment to the rest of the group, to whom this is probably all second-nature. Would I fit in without making the rest of the group impatient?

Theresa :smile:

Everyone is welcome to come to this event. The 2009 event had people at all levels, including those who had never tempered chocolate before. I believe we all got something from the experience and that we certainly all had fun! I hope you'll join us.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Could I sign up and pay the fees, but not do any work and just take home some of the spoils? :unsure:

I don't really want to make anything, I just like to watch and eat. :laugh:

(my mother would be doing the same if she came :smile: )

Again, everyone is welcome to come. I believe you would enjoy it more by participating than simply watching. Due to space constraints we will be working in teams, so you can do as much or as little as you wish with your teammates. But I would certainly encourage you to step up and give things a go! You'll have a great time and noone will be judging your skills. The goal is to help each other learn and to enjoy each others company.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

I want to come. My issue is that I may be in the states in July/Aug with husband and youngest- she wants to see "America" and Disneyland. School holidays are in the summer. Dilemma... I really want to come so maybe I will figure it out. :wink:

We would certainly love to meet you. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

We are now OFFICIALLY confirmed for April 17 & 18 in the "Palladin" (named after Jean Louis Palladin) kitchen of L'Academine de Cuisine. I'll begin working on confirming April 16 with Albert Uster Imports Corporate Pastry Chef Anil Rohira and look into local hotels for blocks of rooms.

Y'all come on down!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Thanks so much for taking this on, Steve. I'm really looking forward to it, and hope that I can be there for the whole weekend this time!

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I would love to be able to come to this. It sounded like so much fun last time.

ETA: Oh, wow, I just got an email from Albert Uster saying that Anil "has announced his dream to return home to India, back to his roots and his much loved culture."

Edited by Gingersnap (log)

I would love to be able to come to this. It sounded like so much fun last time.

ETA: Oh, wow, I just got an email from Albert Uster saying that Anil "has announced his dream to return home to India, back to his roots and his much loved culture."

I heard he is leaving too. I've left him a message (before I had heard) and hope to hear back from him this week.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things