• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RIP Gourmet Magazine: 1941-2009

adegiulio

Russ Parsons at the L.A. Times takes another stab at the "why Gourmet is gone" genre. ... Parsons, like most writers on this subject, dances around the question of why advertisers were fleeing from Gourmet.

I wonder if he'd like to comment in person, given that Russ is of course a participating member here (since 2002) with many posts (albeit the last I saw were two years back).

Another data point FWIW: Advance review copy of the new cookbook Gourmet Today cited a pending $750k marketing and promotion campaign: Free subscriptions with book purchase; special advertising in specified 2009 and 2010 Gourmet issues; other national and trade mag advertising; e-marketing, targeting "bloggers and food sites" and "online chats with Ruth Reichl, widgets for family and 'Mom' sites;" further publicity throughout 2010 holiday periods. Reads strangely after the magazine's October closure, but apparently it was an ambitious project.

• 7 months later...

Looks like they are trying to resurrect Gourmet in some fashion. I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay $5 a month (I'm using the Wired cost as a point of reference) for something I paid $20/year for.

NY Times article

Edited by santo_grace (log)

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

• 4 months later...

I have been enjoying the Gourmet Live app for the iPad... it was free, the content is free and it is kind of pretty :wub: As I understand it, it uses a combination of new and archieved materials. While not, in itself, the most compelling reason to finally get that iPad (and there ARE plenty of reasons!), if you have one, check it out!

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.