• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dim Sum - Sydney

We popped out for Yum Cha today and tried Fisherman's Wharf at the Fish Market. It was quite busy at 1:30 on a holiday Monday but we only waited about 15 mins for a table. The room is good, modern and fresh with lots of natural light from big windows overlooking the water.

The food was OK and met our needs. However, they use the cart system rather than cooking to order which IMO means the food loses something along the way. Would I go back? Maybe, if I was in the area and didn't have an option without the cart system.

When I got home I re-read the SMH GFG section on Yum Cha and they seem to like carts. Is this because it is the common practice in Sydney? Or are there good Yum Cha restaurants which make to order? Interested in recommendations.

Phil,

I hate to admit this but after 16 years in Sydney, I don't know of any yum cha restaurant that makes their goods to order. Some restaurants do make certain noodle items to order, like cheung fun, but the dumplings etc are normally cooked en masse and loaded onto the trolleys for distribution. If you do find such a place, please let me know!

Here in Singapore, the trolleys actually seem quite rare - most places I have been to cook to order. It takes a while to get used to the lack of the trolleys' hustle and bustle!

Julian's Eating - Tales of Food and Drink