• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Enameled cast iron 6qt.

ojisan

FYI - I just picked up a Kirkland oval enameled cast iron dutch oven at Costco - $50. Very heavy - feels heavier than Le Creuset. Hecho en China. Lid has dimples inside, and s.s. knob. Bottom is enameled. Looks like a winner.

Monterey Bay area

Sounds as good as and certainly not as expensive as Le Creuset. Looks like you got a winner!

'A person's integrity is never more tested than when he has power over a voiceless creature.' A C Grayling.

They had both in our Costco, Kirkland brand that looked perfect for a chicken, and a larger Le Creuset. I liked the Kirland size since I have a larger Le Creuset,but the spousal unit gave me "the look".

"I drink to make other people interesting".

Cast iron is cast iron, I always say. :wink:

As soon as someone starts jivin' about how Staub is better than LC is better than Lodge is better than Target, I walk in the other direction. The only differences you'll see is in the enamel -- the depth of coat, any bare/rough spots, the quality of finish, etc. But once you heat them all up, I challenge anybody to note any differences in the food (basting spikes and all :rolleyes:).

Good price on the Kirkland -- wish I didn't already have an LC in that size...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

• 1 month later...

I picked up a Member's Mark 6.5 qt. dutch oven at Sam's Club two days ago for $40. It's definitely thicker than Le Creuset (compared with one I saw at Williams-Sonoma). I inaugurated its reign with gumbo. It's pretty sweet. You can get any color you want, as long as it's red.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

As soon as someone starts jivin' about how Staub is better than LC is better than Lodge is better than Target, I walk in the other direction. The only differences you'll see is in the enamel -- the depth of coat, any bare/rough spots, the quality of finish, etc. But once you heat them all up, I challenge anybody to note any differences in the food (basting spikes and all :rolleyes:).

Good price on the Kirkland -- wish I didn't already have an LC in that size...

I agree with you 100% regarding enameled cast iron. The only reason I bought my oval Staub (12 Lt.) is because the less expensive lines didn't have that size.

Much of my stuff is old - Descoware I bought in the '60s, Copco, same era. I even have some Griswold from the 30s - they didn't produce a lot of enameled ware but what they did is still in good shape.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

But the enamel finish does make a difference in how well the pan cleans up. The matte black inside finish of Staub is much harder to clean than the smooth interior of Le Creuset (and its imitators).

Also, the cheaper brands do tend to chip more easily.

I just ordered a 6 1/2 qt enamel cast iron dutch oven for a Christmas present for my brother from Wally World. $39.00 and 97 cents shipping.

This model was rated a top choice as per ATK and they were tested against LC and Staub and were deemed equal to them at a fraction of the cost. I have a 3 1/2 qt I've been using for noknead bread for over a year and it has performed exceptionally well.

Cheaper price = more stuff!

I just ordered a 6 1/2 qt enamel cast iron dutch oven for a Christmas present for my brother from Wally World. $39.00 and 97 cents shipping.

This model was rated a top choice as per ATK and they were tested against LC and Staub and were deemed equal to them at a fraction of the cost. I have a 3 1/2 qt I've been using for noknead bread for over a year and it has performed exceptionally well.

Cheaper price = more stuff!

This is the same pot as at Sam's Club - the Sam's Club version is marketed as their "Member's Mark" house brand. I have one and it works well.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

FYI - I just picked up a Kirkland oval enameled cast iron dutch oven at Costco - $50. Very heavy - feels heavier than Le Creuset. Hecho en China. Lid has dimples inside, and s.s. knob. Bottom is enameled. Looks like a winner.

Is Costco a membership store? Can anyone shop there?

This is the same pot as at Sam's Club - the Sam's Club version is marketed as their "Member's Mark" house brand. I have one and it works well.

Yup, I got one last week from Sam's, and I LOVE it. I made gumbo with it, first, then a barley/lamb stew tonight. It's incredibly easy to clean, and it works like a champ.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

Is Costco a membership store? Can anyone shop there?

Costco is membership only, as is Sam's Club. Once, maybe twice a year I'll see a guest pass for Sam's in the newspaper. That'll get you in, but you'll pay a premium over the member's price (I can't remember exactly how much--probably 10% ±5).

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

But the enamel finish does make a difference in how well the pan cleans up. The matte black inside finish of Staub is much harder to clean than the smooth interior of Le Creuset (and its imitators).

Also, the cheaper brands do tend to chip more easily.

I would contend that the Staub black enamel is tougher in the long term. I have seen many a Le Creuset casserole with the cream enamel inside stained and/or peeling and heard many tales of customers coming back asking if they can be re-enameled.

My two cents - I like a light interior on an enameled cast iron pot because it's difficult to do gumbo when you can't see what's going on. Le Cruset is guaranteed for 99 years; I understand that they are good about replacing items that are defective. That said, I have Staub as well as Le Cruset and like them both, just don't use the Staub for certain things.

Le Cruset cleans up pretty easily as long as you have not walked away from your hot stove for two or three days - then some serious cleaning is in order and a little Bar Keeper's Friend to finish. But go easy on the BKF, because it will dull the finish. I agree with JAZ that it is harder to clean the Staubs - and more difficult to tell when they are clean, but the Staub finish is tough, as Tony pointed out, and Staub designs really are cool, so....

The cheaper cast iron pots I have seen do chip more easily; typically the display item in a store is already chipped. Clearly inferior enamel, but that may or may not make any difference to you. While I use Lodge raw cast iron for camping, if I needed a non-reactive surface I would probably pick up one of the cheap enameled ones.

Ditto what Richard said. My kitchen has some LC (lots actually) and a couple of cheap imitations. The LC is lifetime+ cookware, the other is not as vibrant as it once was.

Cinco, the weight issue is not insignificant. Fully loaded, the LC pots can be difficult. Why not try a fully clad All Clad pot from the outlet? The prices are way better than retail, and I've never heard of anyone with an objectionable flaw on them. Most the time people can't even tell what the flaw is.

I am not familiar with Wally World..

I think this is a nickname for Walmart ?

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this pot. I love it. It is very heavy and has a good enamel coating. In the month I've had it, it certainly seen a lot of use. It has some things which could be seen as neg (e.g., it has a screw you can see on the lid) and LC or staud doesn't have a screw showing on the lid. But for $150 diff. in price, am more than willing to over look that minor item.