• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best praise you have ever gotten?

Mr. Delicious

I work as a pastry chef nowadays, and generally get alot of complements, although it's always nice if it's from a pretty girl around my age... ;).

Anyhow, the best complement I received was from a Ukrainian couple several years ago, who said I made the best borshch they've had in North America... Another best was a little girl who was overjoyed I made a special (mini) dessert for her - complements from children are always touching since kids are usually pretty picky, and generally don't complement simply for the sake of politeness, as adults often do...

A few months ago I cooked for a charity called Empty Bowls (which was held to help local community food pantries) hosted by a Wellness Center in a town nearby. The concept is to fill donated bowls with soup to symbolize helping the hungry.

There were many dietary restrictions (think Vegan, Vegetarian, Meat and Potatoes, etc.) involved and I worked really hard to meet them while providing the best soup that I could.

When service finally started to slow, I peeked out of the kitchen to check out the (huge) crowd, and received a standing ovation and a round of applause from said crowd, plus a special thank you from the Director of the Center.

We're now in talks about me taking over the kitchen and starting a breakfast/lunch service on a regular basis.

Fine praise indeed! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a professional chef, just a home cook, but seems to me that the best praise a chef/cook can get would be a thoughtful and sincere wish that one of the dishes you prepared would be on the list of someone's last meal.

Edited by percyn (log)