• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best praise you have ever gotten?

Mr. Delicious

I was wondering what the best praise or compliment you have recieved? Last night I was involved with "Savor the Flavor" a fundraiser done by one of our local hospitals. Local restaurants and hotels give samples of some signature items, as well as provide things for a large silent and live auction. This was the third year of the event and we decided to do "adoptadelicious" a private sushi party for up to 10 people, this was valued at about $500 and much to my surprise it sold for $4000 by far the highest item. I was simply floored, it was purchased by one of our favorite customers, who warned us to watch for a fight between him and a friend. Today I am still shocked and quite proud of myself and my staff for helping become what we have. One of the best senses of accomplishment I have ever recieved.

Just wondering what some other people have experienced?

"adoptadelicious" a private sushi party for up to 10 people, this was valued at about $500 and much to my surprise it sold for $4000 by far the highest item.

SUSHI ??? Your in Bismarck, North Dakota.....by the look of your avatar you were not born in Japan :laugh:

my friend, I don't think you are going to get topped !!!!!!!!

Hearty Congrats from Sushiville aka Honolulu

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

When I've had an exceptional restaurant experience, I make a note of the names of everyone involved and send a handwritten note to the GM after the meal. One that mentions everyone involved and can be posted. Praise is a good thing. (Note: exceptional experiences are also accompanied by an exceptional tip.)

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Got a hug from a woman last week during dinner service, said she had the best dinner in 15 years and I couldn't have made a happier birthday girl (was her birthday and I guess decided to show up at the restaurant on a whim, she had never been there before).

Few months ago served a couple, they were up here in maine from cali visiting family or something along those lines, and said the soup and meal I made for them beat the pants off the dinner they had 2 nights prior at chez panisse, and had me sign their menus. Little odd, i've never had to do that before lol

Also, got a wedding proposal from a woman not that long ago. She was about 30 years too old for me :-\ Said anyone who could make her benedict that good, she would leave her husband for. I don't think he got the joke though.

Probably could think of more, but those are the recent ones. I get a little shy when people thank me and stuff. I'm just happy to stay behind the line lol

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality.

After I first started cooking, I wanted to make a Thai Basil Chicken dish for my daughter. Her first reaction was "Noooo! It will be terrible and we'll starve." To which I replied, "We're not on Safari in Africa. If it's terrible we'll go out to dinner." So she reluctantly agreed to the dinner plans.

She had thirds!

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

In intro to baking, we had to make fruit pies. I'm not very adept at pastry stuff, but I make a Strawberry/Rubarb pie. My Dad A. ate the whole thing (I'm not one for strawberry/rubarb, or pies really - well except Huckleberry). He exclaimed (in front of the baker in the family, my Mother) that my pie was waay better than anything my Mother had ever made. I think he's still paying for that comment. ;)

I'm not a Pro chef, but a few years ago I threw a Dinner party at my ex girlfriends house. One of the invitees was a food critic, and when I made one of my modest comments he said something like "don't be modest, you should be proud, everything was outstanding"

“I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.”

W.C. Fields

every year, in december, i teach a tamale class at my cooking school. i know my tamales are good, and we teach a lot of little tricks and lore--how to get the masa to float, etc. i'm always gratified to see the number of hispanic students who enroll. (i'm not a latina.) it seems as though lots of folks didnt pay attention when abeulita was making the tamales, and they dont know the steps in the process. i have a wonderful kitchen helper who is mexican, and the finest food compliment i've received was a few years back, when, after making tamales with her family since she was born, she announced that "this year, the delgado family is using the chez cherie chicken filling in our tamales." that still give me chills. she could not have given me a finer compliment.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

• 1 month later...

At home: after serving a high-end frozen pie for a family party, my then 8-yr old daughter stated, "That was good mom, but yours is better."

At work: A family, who are regular guests at the Community Meal, stopped at the kitchen door on their way out, and sang Happy Birthday to me :) They thanked me for making their life "so much easier", then went on their way.

Karen Dar Woon

Someone who used to be very important to this forum said they would like to chip in and have me cook for them.

Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Congratulations on your fundraising efforts Mr Delicious!

For me the best compliment by far has also been the strangest. I have had people 3 times now cry in the restaurant when trying to explain to me how much they enjoyed it. It was because they could not find the right words to describe how the food moved them.

The first time I was actually embarrassed as I was not sure how to take it, then the more I thought about it I figured there could not be a more expressive way to say they enjoyed it as it is true that words are simply lost as soon as they are said. Tears would not be the way I would express myself but to have them shed over your cooking is the ultimate compliment, unless they are being shed in disgust!

Adam Melonas - Chef

===================================================================================================================================

(Blog)
/
(Wikipedia)
/
(Twitter)

After 10 years of marriage, my husband still tells me he married me for my lasagna. :smile:

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

After 10 years of marriage, my husband still tells me he married me for my lasagna. :smile:

Marriage is out of the question so no worries about me getting fresh: :cool:

Would you post or PM the recipe ?

I am always looking for a great Lasagna recipe.

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

When my daughter, on being told she could celebrate her birthday at any restaurant in town, asked to have me cook steak-frites for her.

And once, when I was waiting tables at a restaurant in Boston's North End, an antipasto I prepared while the cooks were running behind convinced a table that I "had to have some Italian blood in me, somewhere" because no Irish could cook that well.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

A few weeks back a customer said I made the best Muffaletta sandwich she ever tasted-and she's from New Orleans, home of the Muffaletta!

Another said my Coconut Cream Pie was the best piece of pie she ever had (even at $4.00 per slice).

A customer happened in on the day I was serving Polish Mushroom soup and he told me mine was better than his Polish Grandma's. He called her on his cell and told her to come have some. She ended up buying a quart to take home.

...She ended up buying a quart to take home.

Sounds like Grandma is going to pull a Todd Wilbur and try to figure out your recipe. :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 4 weeks later...

Eric Ripert is a frequent customer at a place i was the chef at in the Hamptons last year. One evening himself, Laurent Tourendel a restauranteur from the city and their wives were in to eat. In the middle of their meal i decided to send out some sweetbreads and spaetzle to the table as a gesture from the kitchen. One of the gentlemen was very gracious, but alas did not care for sweetbreads and politely declined them by setting them to the side. Eric finished his plate and eyed up his companions untouched plate.... and finished that one too. pretty freakin cool.