• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Working with Gold Foil

Truffle Guy

I have a customer who wants gold foil on some of the molded pieces we do as well as some cups. I can do the gold foil in the cups ok but not having worked with foil before, I'm struggling a bit with the shells. I've tried applying afterwards and it just doesn't seem to work well. I've applied to the shell but when I fill it sometimes gets flooded. Is there a trick to applying in the mold so that it will not move when the chocolate fills the cavity? Thanks for any help. -Bill

I've found gold leaf amongst my least favorite things to work with - i love how it looks though! what i'll do is take some tempered cocoa butter and a very small brush or cotton ball, apply a very thin layer of ccb to the entire cavity, then use the brush to 'pick up' the leaf by touching the brush to the foil, and then apply it to the cavity wall just by touching it to the cocoa butter lined wall. Seems to work reasonably well for me.

Good luck - post a pic if you get it to work well!