• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

fresh ham steak

OliverB

As part of my 1/7th of a Berkshire pig I received a big piece called a ham steak. I want to make that tonight, but I'm not familiar with this cut. It is fresh, not cured.

It being called steak I'm thinking of searing it and then maybe finish it in the oven? Or put it on the bbq?

google did not give me any good ideas, so I'm hoping to find some input here :-)

Thanks!

Oliver

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I wonder whether this is rouelle de jambon. Is it quite large, with a round slice of bone in the middle? If so, I just made one following the advice of my butcher, which involved marinating it overnight in a mixture of oils and herbs (no acid at all) and then grilling it. It was delicious.

We often have ham steak for Easter dinner (when there are to few people for a whole ham) and usually just sear it in a pan, deglaze with a little pineapple juice, then bake with the juice and chunks of pineapple in the oven. Otherwise we fry it in a large frying pan, letting it get nice and brown on both sides, and then make gravy for breakfast. :wub: That's my favorite way. My best friend's mom always grills it and brushes with just a bit of BBQ sauce right toward the end - add it with just enough time left in the cooking to make it sticky on the surface but not to get burnt bits.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

great ideas, thanks! Might just put it on the bbq if it stays as nice as it is right now. I've never seen this cut, it's pretty big! And yes, it has a round bone in it.

Thanks!

- Thomas Keller

thanks! I was not sure if this is a long and slow cooking piece of meat. I'll put it on the bbq, it's such a nice day today. Have some baby red potatoes to roast and some salad, a rustic sour bread, that should be just fine :-)

If I don't forget to take pictures (again) I'll put some on my blog.

- Thomas Keller

Earlier this Spring I chopped up a homemade ham that we cured then froze, prematurely. The brine penetrated only 2/3 in, so my response was a band saw and barbecue. My reaction: Sure, the brine made for pinkish juicy meat, but the untreated region was differently delicious.

Pork is much more like poultry than beef in this regard.

OliverB, those Bavarian style Ham Sülze on your link look very enticing.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

well, of course I forgot to take some pictures once our friends were here. I thought it was one big fat steak, but when I opened the bag there were actually two in there not quite an inch thick. I put a bit olive oil on, some salt and pepper and a an herb rub I had around. Put it all on the hot bbq and then moved it to the cool side. Turned out great! Nice tender meat. Lots of fat on there, I actually cut quite some off and froze it before working with the meat, no way it would have rendered in the short time it took to grill. All turned out well, wish I'd have thought of the camera. I think I'll buy a cheap digital one just to keep around in the kitchen one of these days...

That Sülze came out great! I just had the revelation to make the gelatine with a broth instead of just water and vinegar, that should taste even better. I'm gonna make a chicken one soon I think. It's fun, and a tasty reminder of home :-)

- Thomas Keller