• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First Time In Las Vegas

Hi All,

I have noticed quite a few threads out there on Vegas but wanted to be very specific with this one. My wife and I will be in Vegas next weekend for the first time - we have 3 nights for dinner. One will be steak and one will be seafood - the other is still to be determined.

My question for everyone is - please provide soem great recomendations for seafood one night and steak the other.

Thanks.

Just remember that Nevada is a land-locked state. Seafood isn't really a strong specialty there.

Oh yeah. The night before my wife and I got married, I had a shrimp dinner at Paris, Las Vegas. Big mistake. Was puking at 2 am. (and no, I don't drink.) Shellfish in the desert? WTF was I thinking?

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Seafood: Bartalotta Ristorante de Mare at Wynn

Steak: Tons of choice. Lots of people are liking Cut at Palazzo. If you want a really AGED steak, I can sugggest Carnevino in Palazzo

Other: L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon at the MGM Grand

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Cool....Thanks...any thoughts on craftsteak in the MGM Grand or Roy's?

I went to craftsteak in the MGM a couple weeks ago and it was very good. In fact its about the only place in MGM that is very good.

If you have the bucks, try Bartolotta Ristorante di Mare at Wynn for fresh seafood flown in from the Mediterreanean. The cafe at RM Seafood at Mandalay Bay is a casual place for fish in a bar, cafe type setting. The upstairs bar at RM serves small plates of seafood. I believe the main dining room is still closed due to the poor economic conditions in town. I'd avoid the seafood at Michael Mina at Bellagiw--overly priced, somewhat contrived "trios" of seafood dishes. One advantage,however, of dining at Mina is the fact that they have some of the best pastries and desserts in town.

• 2 weeks later...

So we ended up going to Craft Steak in the MGM Grand one night. A delicious meal - we had the warm goat cheese salad for appetizer, roasted filet mignon, grilled ny strip for our main courses with the sauteed spinach and sweet potato puree for sides.

The other night we went to Sushi Roku in the forum shops in Caesars Palace...this was another delicious meal. We had the chillean sea bass and tuna entrees - both came with Miso Soup and Rice - another delicious and refreshing meal!