• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frankfurt Airport

I have a 2-4 hour layover at Frankfurt Airport at the end of this month. Last time I passed thru a german airport I remember buying some fabulous salami etc.

Any recommendations for specific things to buy at the airport? Love that spicy peppery sausage and salami - cann't remember any names.

Stop Tofu Abuse...Eat Foie Gras...

www.cuisinetc-catering.blogspot.com

www.cuisinetc.net

www.caterbuzz.com

I'm not sure of the name of the sausage but if you exit the duty free area and go downstairs to the train level there are supermarkets which offer a bigger choice than is found upstairs.

Back inside the departure area, you can always look around at Dr.Müller's Sex Shop. I realize that there's a joke there but I don't want to go there right now.

Enjoy your stop in Frankfurt.

BlackDuff

I have a 2-4 hour layover at Frankfurt Airport at the end of this month.  Last time I passed thru a german airport I remember buying some fabulous salami etc. 

Which Airline ? Most US carriers are in terminal D, which does not have a large selection of duty free shops.

anil

Luftansia

Thanks for the tip about the supermarkets - I love to go to supermarkets in other countries - you never know what cool things you will find and sometimes its just fun to buy things like toothpaste in another language!

Stop Tofu Abuse...Eat Foie Gras...

www.cuisinetc-catering.blogspot.com

www.cuisinetc.net

www.caterbuzz.com

If you know for sure your time is between 3 and 4 hours, go downstairs to the "S-Bahn", take the one to the Hauptbahnhof (Main Train Station downtown Frankfurt) trip takes about 20 minutes, runs every 15 minutes it costs about 2Euro. Once at the Hbf, zillions of stores, cheaper than airport wares, if time permits get a cab to the "Fressgasse" a street just for "eats". But in the main departure Hall at the airport are some gourmet shops, a British one, name escapes (pricey!)

Peter

..... Once at the Hbf, zillions of stores, cheaper than airport wares, if time permits get a cab to the "Fressgasse" a street just for "eats". But in the main departure Hall at the airport are some gourmet shops, a British one, name escapes (pricey!)

Just Don't do-it. FRA as been transmuting into a very finicky place w.r.t to security checks.

anil