• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ingredient labels for chocolates

carol lang

I am meeting with the Agriculture and Marketing person in order to get my license to sell at markets and shows.

I understand most aspects of writing the ingredient label (list ingredients in the order of amount etc.) Here lies my problem: In doing an assorted box of six different flavors, the list gets so long it barely can fit on my label. Also, I make handmade chocolates with fine ingredients and no preservatives but when the label is complete, it looks like a "tome".

This is how I would like the label to look:

Dark chocolate, milk chocolate, white chocolate, fresh purees, butter

toasted nuts, colored cocoa butter

Do I need to do this:

Dark chocolate (cocoa mass, sugar, cocoa butter,soy lecitthin, vanilla); milk chocolate(sugar, cocoa butter, cocoa mass, skimmed milk powder, soya lecithin, vanilla)

white chocolate( pure cane sugar, cocoa butter, full cream milk, lactose, soya lecithin, vanilla beans).......

and the same for each other ingredient.

I would appreciate any advice aon this.

I am in NYS, I produce in a rented commercial kitchen and will sell via internet, flea markets and possibly wholesale.

Thanks,

Carol Lang

Cibelli Chocolates

I would recommend you go for the longer description-better safe than sorry. You should also include allergy warnings. Go here to the FDA Labeling Guide for further info. However, I believe your state officials may not really have legal jurisdiction over this...labeling is mandated by FDA regs, which also are not law but can be enforced, if I understand correctly. I import chocolates from Ecuador and follow the labeling requirements as best as I can, and have never had an issue with the FDA or USDA stopping our products at customs upon entering the country.-

Jeffrey Stern

www.jeffreygstern.com

http://bit.ly/cKwUL4

http://destination-ecuador.net

cocoapodman at gmail dot com

Why don't you just condense the 3 types of chocolate into "Chocolate" and then combine the ingredients that would save space and keep you covered. You might also have to break down other ingredients.I have sold chocolates in Michigan & Wisconsin and you have to have allergen information on your label (at least list tree nuts, peanuts and milk proteins). Check the labels from ingredients you are using to see what they list. You will probably also need a contact address. It would be worth the ~$50 a year to get a PO Box so you don't have people showing up at your front door.

When you meet with the inspector, bring the proposed label. He/she will comment on if it is correct or needed changes. They will usually issue license knowing you will make corrections without having to come back.

You would be surprised how much info you can get on a 1x2.5 label print in a 5pt arial narrow font

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

I am curious. Does anyone check up on you about your labeling? The label inspector?

The USA is way ahead of Canada...I live in east central Ontario...in their labeling which is so great when I am buying something in the States but obviously a total pain when you are selling casually, as in fairs.

We don't appear to have any laws governing selling in shows and fairs...someone will correct me immediately no doubt...except to have a government-approved kitchen which is no biggie to get...and a lot of casual sellers don't even have that.

I have a friend with a government-approved kitchen and an inspector does drop in without notice to check up. But then I know of another who does not have an inspector drop in. ????

So, about that labeling thingy? Who makes sure it is correct? And how much does it vary from state to state? I seem recall a water factor in some other states.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'm back from my meeting with the food inspector. Thanks to all your help, my labels were approved. I followed your advice Mark, and the info now fits on the label. I added the allergen information as well as contact information.

Ive been through this recently as well, and one of the huge issues to consider is location! Ohio has fairly easy-going laws in the way of cottage food products as we have large contigents of Amish throughout the state. I make 14 varieties of homemade potato chips for sale at farmers markets (My chocolate dosent due well in an Ohio summer) and my label is:

Potatoes, Canola Oil, Herbs, Spices, Salt, Sugar. This product is home produced

That label covers all 14. I know some states, like Michigan, are the opposite and have very stringent laws.

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me

Ive been through this recently as well, and one of the huge issues to consider is location! Ohio has fairly easy-going laws in the way of cottage food products as we have large contigents of Amish throughout the state. I make 14 varieties of homemade potato chips for sale at farmers markets (My chocolate dosent due well in an Ohio summer) and my label is:

That label covers all 14. I know some states, like Michigan, are the opposite and have very stringent laws.

Michigan has stringent laws about where food can be produced, but that ingredient label would be just fine here.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Michigan has stringent laws about where food can be produced, but that ingredient label would be just fine here.

Tammy, I was following your foodblog as you went through all the work of getting your confection production set up and approved by the BOHealth, and I was so surprised by all that you had to do in Michigan in comparison with what is required in Ohio, although they have cracked down on cottage food salsa makers and made it illegal to produce salsa for sale without an approved kitchen. Still, anyone wanting to market any food that isnt deemed hazardous can simply make it and sell it, even in eateries and outlets such a grocery shops and retail stores. No inspection required, save for proper labeling.

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me