• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good dairy in California?

yasuofenix

Hello all,

Does anyone know of any good milk in California (North or South)? I know there's Strauss and Clover. Whats everyone's opinion of them or others? I found one in Southern California, but I can't remember how to spell out the name, it sounds French. There's so much dairy and cattle in California but it seems like most of it is used for cheese of beef.

I thought I'd at least find a place like Milk Thistle here in New York, but couldn't find any. Milk Thistle is currently my favourite dairy because of its taste and type of cow used. If you're ever in NYC stop by Union Square and try some.

I'll be moving to California so I need my good dairy fix.

Any help is great.

Thanks in advance.

Alex

The one in Southern California you are thinking of is probably Broguiere's in Montebello. The milk is stocked in some major chain groceries. It is sold in returnable glass bottles. Unfortunately I have never had the milk, and am not a milk drinker so I have no better input. Their eggnog has a cult following during the holidays.

Not actually north or south (thank God) in Cali but in San Luis Obispo, Cal Poly has a very good dairy program. They have turned out some notable cheesemakers, offer products and they offer facility tours, too. It's just nice to see where it comes from.

"I drink to make other people interesting".

I've seen their cheeses at local markets, New Frontiers Natural Market for one. They also sell at the school site. They have an animal science program, as well, with a meat market. Pretty tasty grass fed beef and pork if you're so inclined.

"I drink to make other people interesting".

I buy Strauss organic non-homogenized milk in returnable bottles. It's delicious, and you have the option of scraping out the plug of top cream to use for whatever fun you can think of. It must be sort of like clotted cream--that plug is halfway to butter most of the time.

Strauss seems like a big dairy company out there. I don't mind it so much for my personal use, but if it were to use it in my business I'd want to look for some place smaller if possible. I saw Strauss everywhere, its like Stumptown Roasters, getting sick of it because its everywhere. Doesn't mean its bad but too corporate.

• 4 weeks later...

In Orange county check out Henry's markets - There is one on Yorba Linda blvd not far from the Nixon library in Yorba Linda.

You can locate other stores here: http://www.henrysmarkets.com/h/home/

I have been to the stores in Costa Mesa and Fullerton.

They carry Broguieres, Strauss and I have also purchased ClaraDale raw milk products at one of the stores.

There should be one close enough to you.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 7 months later...

I'm rather fond of Clover-Stornetta. I buy their dairy (mostly I buy half-and-half) over Strauss anytime. The product of theirs I'm the most fond of is actually their ``Extra Rich Milk,'' which is milk with more fat than whole milk but less than half and half, but I've never seen it for sale. Many of the coffee shops in SF seem to use it for their milk-based drinks though. It's very creamy and has a very subtle and interesting grassy taste to it that I find actually adds something interesting to drinks made with it.

I'm rather fond of Clover-Stornetta. I buy their dairy (mostly I buy half-and-half) over Strauss anytime. The product of theirs I'm the most fond of is actually their ``Extra Rich Milk,'' which is milk with more fat than whole milk but less than half and half, but I've never seen it for sale. Many of the coffee shops in SF seem to use it for their milk-based drinks though. It's very creamy and has a very subtle and interesting grassy taste to it that I find actually adds something interesting to drinks made with it.

Here's another vote for Clover-Stornetta...it's widely available in California markets and I also feel it's one of the best you can get.

As for cheeses, luckily you're moving to California. Take a map, draw a 100-mile radius, and you'll be sure to find a local artisnal cheese maker that knows what they're doing and has their products carried in your local upscale-ish market/farmer's market.