• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In defense of granulated garlic

Fat Guy

Ditto on croutons.

I start with the seasonings, adding salt, pepper, powdered or granulated garlic, smoked paprika, etc. in a large bowl, and mix the seasonings till uniform, then add in bread cubes and toss the whole batch up and over to coat the cubes. If the cubes do not pick up enough seasoning, I drizzle a small amount of olive oil in and toss again. Usually the oil helps the cubes pick up enough seasoning.

rubs and pizza. FYI, I placed an order with Penzey's today. I asked where their garlic is from as usually it says " Calffornia" in the catalog. Was told its now from China. I just abhor Chinese garlic. The sales person told me its a better product. I dont think so!!

I use granulated garlic for things that are going to get heated rather than cooked because it doesn't have the same harshness as fresh. Throw some on leftover spaghetti with good olive oil and Parmesan and heat just enough to warm through. It also makes a good systemic insect repellent for the horses. Which brings up another point, granulated garlic can vary quite a bit in quality/taste: My DB ordered 5 lbs to feed the geldings and they delivered 50 lbs. So that's what I used in the kitchen for the longest time. The horses finally used it up and I bought a mere Costco-size jar. Much, much better.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Mixed meatloaf last night. Dumped in a whole pile of granulated garlic....but forgot to add the fresh garlic that normally goes in it. I think my mind was on this topic, and the fresh stuff completely escaped my head. :wacko:

Mixed meatloaf last night. Dumped in a whole pile of granulated garlic....but forgot to add the fresh garlic that normally goes in it. I think my mind was on this topic, and the fresh stuff completely escaped my head. :wacko:

The 1,000,000 Macaroon question: How did it taste ?

I use both granulated garlic, powdered garlic if I think a dish might be too wet and want the juices to be adsorbed as it cooks.

Edited by Aloha Steve (log)

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

I use both granulated garlic, powdered garlic if I think a dish might be too wet and want the juices to be adsorbed as it cooks.

Delicious! Interestingly, leaving out the fresh garlic wasn't detrimental to the final product at all, as I thought it might have been. It was a bit more mellower with just the granulated garlic, though. I am bringing a leftover meatloaf sandwich for lunch tomorrow. :wub:

Delicious! Interestingly, leaving out the fresh garlic wasn't detrimental to the final product at all, as I thought it might have been. It was a bit more mellower with just the granulated garlic, though. I am bringing a leftover meatloaf sandwich for lunch tomorrow. :wub:

Sounds Yummy Hooray !

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

• 2 weeks later...

Also, it's good in sous vide--real garlic seems to develop an off taste in the bag, as well as overpowering everything.

I found that out the hard way. Raw garlic goes nuts in my stovetop s.v. set-up, whereas other plant stuff like celery and carrots don't do much at all.

Douglas Baldwin, in A Practical Guide to Sous Vide Cooking, says:

raw garlic produces very pronounced and unpleasant results and powdered garlic (in very small quantities) should be substituted.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I like granulated garlic in baked chicken coating (especially the one my mom makes using crushed potato chips). I also reguarly make a cooked red salsa originally posted by Jaymes, and if I'm remembering it correctly, she eloquently defends the use of garlic salt. I normally mix equal volumed granulated garlic, and salt, and the salsa is always spectacular.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest