• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In defense of granulated garlic

Fat Guy

During my middle period, when I was going from novice to more experienced cook, granulated garlic was an ingredient I banished from my kitchen. Why would you use granulated garlic when you can use fresh?

Well, the other day I was reminded of one reason: when making a rub for meat. A friend and I were cooking a boneless ribeye roast, about 8 pounds, on the grill. We wanted garlic but knew if we rubbed the meat with fresh garlic we'd have acrid, smoky, burnt garlic two hours later. Whereas, mixing granulated garlic with salt and pepper and then rubbing the meat with that gave us nice garlic flavor without burning.

This can't be the only good use of granulated garlic. Any other ideas?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Mostly I use it as you used it -- for rubs when grilling and barbecuing. But it also works really well in old-school fried chicken coatings, as does granulated onion. It's just... right in a way that "real" garlic isn't, quite.

John Rosevear

"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger

Granulated garlic is just about the only kind I ever saw my grandmother use...so I use it. (shh dont tell her)Its a must for dry rubs and seasoning burgers and other meat for grilling and also for last min reseasoning of a dish that might just need a little something.

Jeff I soemtimes just boil a few garlic cloves with the potatoes for mashing

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I sometimes add it to salad dressings and always on the occasional frozen pizza (plus some Italian herbs). Rubs etc of course. I used to use it a lot more but I love cutting garlic and mostly use fresh nowadays.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I use it for meat dry rubs as well, mainly because that's what my mom did. I really think of granulated garlic as a different animal than fresh garlic. It tastes different to me, and adds a completely different flavor dimension to food. My immigrant Chinese mother would never use anything but fresh garlic for traditional Chinese dishes, but minced garlic on "American" meat just didn't have the flavor she desired. Hence the granulated garlic. If you're not a big fan of, say, beef ribs, try salt, pepper, and granulated garlic which I think gives it a great flavor.

I use it on rubs, fry coatings, chip seasoning, and so on, but I always pound the Penzey's grains to dust in a mortar before adding. Makes absorption on meat or tongue easier, and the flavor of the garlic blends more effectively.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I think of granulated garlic (as well as onion powder) as a different condiment from the fresh stuff. Each has its place. It's not as extreme as asking why not use raisins when you can have fresh grapes, or dried vs. fresh tomatoes, but is a muted version of those comparisons. You can distribute the granular form easily in a dish if you want to add a garlic touch compared even to garlic-pressed fresh stuff, the granular is not as harsh so tht if you want more garlic taste in a dish that is already prepared you can add it without spoiling the dish. Same with onion powder. Turning one's nose up at using these granulated products is simply decreasing one's culinary armamentarium for faux "authenticity".

I use it in rubs all of the time. One summer, I took some up to the cabin. For dinner, we scrounged (we stayed later than we thought), and pasta with ragu (using leftover meat) was on the menu. We had a baguette (not a crusty one) and the kids wanted garlic bread. We had butter, and garlic granules. Mixed them up, spread on the split loaf, added some salt, and voila! It was great.

I'd never think of not stocking them up at the cabin. The nearest market is 30 long miles, one way (long because most of it is a gravel logging road).

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

As others have said, I do not use it instead of fresh, but in different applications. To some people, garlic bread entails granulated garlic, and never fresh. The kids always preferred it to fresh in ground beef preps like taco meat and spaghetti sauce. The latest favorite is beef chunks massaged with garlic powder, seasoned salt, black pepper and a bit or Maggi and worcestershire and quickly cooked in a hot pan with butter. It is also a great emergency stand-by flavor adjuster.

How about garlic powder?

That is what I grew up with. There were frequent outburst from the kitchen when a cloud of garlic powder erupted. I prefer the taste of the granulated, plus it is easier to control amounts when using the

shake" method.

I used my Penzey's both last night and tonight in a spice mix for savory pancakes: sauteed onion, red bell pepper, and fresh corn added to a simple flour/egg/milk batter in which I whisked in salt, cumin, oregano, paprika, cayenne, and the aforementioned granulated garlic. Tonight they were served unadorned with Sriracha on the side; yesterday they were topped with butter-poached shrimp seasoned with salt, a spritz of lime juice and a quick shake of smoked Spanish paprika.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I'm a fan. Like other's have said, it's got a whole other flavor profile, and simply goes where fresh garlic can't. I went through the same "middle" phase, where I banished it. I've come full circle, at this point. My chicken salad and barbecue rubs would be bland shadows of themselves without granulated garlic.

Exactly - it's a different beast to fresh garlic (with somewhat more limited useage). Just like ginger powder has it's use - just not to replace the fresh.

I have made some filthy mistakes in the past trying to use it instead of fresh garlic though - combination of inexperience and limited cupboard space!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

I'm a fan! It lives in the desk at work, along with its' cohorts, onion powder, a pepper mill, (sorry) shaker cheese, kosher salt, salt free lemon and dill seasoning, and seasoned salt. It's a come-one-come-all seasoning opportunity for everyone in the office. :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"