• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lobster in Philly

brescd01

Yeah, there suddenly are a bunch of Lobster Rolls in Philly: SPTR as mentioned, also Oyster House and Village Whiskey.

As for whole lobsters, I don't regularly order it myself in Philly, so I can't say what's best, but you can get a basic lobster from a tank from a few places in Chinatown. They usually chop it up and sauce it in some way, but would probably be happy to just steam it if you asked. We've had very good ones at Ken's and Xiao Guan.

Buddakan has a butter-poached lobster, The Chart House has a steamed Maine Lobster, Chops, out on city line serves whole lobsters, Del Frisco's,

Devon Seafood Grill, McCormick and Schmick's, Oyster House has one as part of the Clam Bake (as does Legal Seafood in King of Prussia), Savona, Smith and Wollensky, Snockey's... they're not that hard to find.

And I don't know, if it's a place that gets good product and might sell a lot of them, it's not exactly rocket science to steam a lobster. It seems like the biggest difference will be freshness/storage, so if you want a good one, go to some place that sells a lot. If you really want a great one, I'm with Bob, go to Maine...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

What is SPTR? And stupid question, what is a lobster roll?

SPTR=South Philly Taproom at 15th and Mifflin

Lobster roll=delicious New England treat consisting of lobster meat on a hotdog roll. There are conflicting beliefs about the use of mayo v. butter and the inclusion of lettuce, but that's it in a nutshell.

$14 for a lobster roll 3 blocks from my house? Yes, please!

In addition to the Lobster Roll, there's a half a chilled poached lobster on the Raw Bar Sampler that also includes half a dozen each of oysters and clams as well as some of our shrimp cocktail. There's a whole split grilled lobster with herb butter on the dinner menu. All are delicious, just depends whether you want cold or hot entree. For a smaller dose of lobster-ishiousness, our Lobster Bisque has a nice portion of lobster meat in it, as well as a very creamy and yummy lobster stock based soup.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

In addition to the Lobster Roll, there's a half a chilled poached lobster on the Raw Bar Sampler that also includes half a dozen each of oysters and clams as well as some of our shrimp cocktail. There's a whole split grilled lobster with herb butter on the dinner menu. All are delicious, just depends whether you want cold or hot entree. For a smaller dose of lobster-ishiousness, our Lobster Bisque has a nice portion of lobster meat in it, as well as a very creamy and yummy lobster stock based soup.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

It's fully split in half, claws cracked, etc. but it's still at least a little bit messy, at a minimum on the hands. There are lobster crackers available and a small oyster fork for yanking out the meat. We have Wet Naps for cleaning up afterward as well as the restroom sinks to wash up. I wouldn't wear your finest silks, but I think it can be done without a bib, as is accomplished many times per evening by our guests. It's actually a lot less work than Maryland crabs and a lot less messy than that. But that's part of the fun, isn't it?

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I am an effeminate prude, but please don't hold this against me! In any event, we tried both the lobster roll (me) and the split lobster (my wife), the shrimp cocktail, a dozen oysters, several Troigs and the sundae.

We enjoyed everything. I was particularly impressed by the decor, which was much smarter than the old decor. We left the dog home, unforunately, or we would have stayed longer.

$75/person, what Barclay Grill cost me on Saturday.

David:

Enjoying getting dressed up for an evening out is a very nice quality. Something quite lost these days. However, I hope the advance warnings not to wear anything you'd be upset about getting drawn butter splashed on were useful. I'm glad you enjoyed everything. Nice to hear we're doing a good job. I hope your service was up to standard. Were you in this (Tuesday) evening? I left at 8PM but was downstairs restocking the bar for a short while before that. Perhaps I wasn't behind the bar when you came in... :unsure:

How does the dog feel about seafood? I suspect he would have enjoyed a "doggie bag" from Barclay moreso... :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

You were there, but I didn't want to draw attention because you might have done something to our drinks after the Meme-rain-dog fiasco!

Our service was cool and efficient. We sat at the bar so I guess we could have been more comfortable at a table. But the only really comparable restaurants to Oyster Bar are Oceanaire, Devon, Seafood Unlimited, and Snockeys.

I have been to Oceanaire now several times and I have to say that it has disappointed me every time, it carries the torch for fancy seafood now that Striped Bass is no more, and yet it really is poorly managed (in my opinion). Really disappointing oysters, uncomfortable temperature control that could not be adjusted, horrible and confused service at the bar, and really mediocre cooking. I also find the decor to be unbelievably trite and cheap.

I used to love Devon and I feel either my tastes evolved or its service and food declined. Or I was seated in the undesirables corner and food and service are better elsewhere, I don't know.

Seafood Unlimited is perfectly placed but I dont remember their raw bar selection to be anything like Oyster Bar's. I also do not like their cooking at all.

Snockeys is really bare-bones and I have not tried its prepared foods, though I have heard they are terrible. Plus it is no less expensive than the other restaurants.

So Oyster Bar actually fills an important role, I will have to return and see if they can keep up the standard we experienced.

Oh. I guess I didn't recognize you. I'm glad everything was up to your expectations. I'll just have to keep that vial of slow acting poison for your next visit. :raz: (joking!!! :smile: )

Oceanaire was in fact so poorly managed that it closed several months ago. Snockey's is a bit "rustic" to say the least, but the oysters and clams are good. Been to their "Clammy Hour" and it's reasonable. No clues on their cooked food. Seafood Unlimited is more of a fish market that serves food than a full service restaurant. Devon is, adequate. There really isn't another seafood restaurant in town that's worthy. Not sure if we can fill the void left by Striped Bass (in the old days), nor am I sure we're trying to, but it's nice to work somewhere that's chef driven, well managed and takes itself seriously. I'm certainly trying to keep up my end behind the bar...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

As much as I want to pat myself on the back for my good judgment RE Oceanaire, its closing appears to be due to its corporate bankruptcy filing rather than local management. I will not miss it.

Oyster Bar is not comfortable enough to fill that niche. But it is hipper than Oceanaire could ever hope to be.

It would seem then that the poor management of Oceanaire went all the way up the flagpole. No surprise there. If the corporation has shoddy standards or is too busy trying to ward off bankruptcy then a poorly run outlet would hardly hit their radar screen. As you said, no great loss...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I don't want to sound grumpy Oyster Bar in its own way represents one aspect of the brasserie ideal I was searching for, and I will be back, anonymously of course, to avoid the slow-acting poison!

Might have missed it, but I didn't see The Palm listed. A three pounder, though costing as much as an airplane ticket to Portland ME, is as good as I've had in Philadelphia since both Bookbinders closed. Haven't tried the lobster at the newer Old Original.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter