• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grange in Ann Arbor

Jujubee

Has anyone checked out Grange Kitchen and Bar in the old Bella Ciao space in Ann Arbor? They're having a 53 Mile Dinner this Wednesday that looks pretty interesting, but I've been so sorely disappointed by higher end dining in Ann Arbor that I figured I would ask around first.

I've been there once and had a very enjoyable meal. I'm looking forward to going back to try the duck confit poutine on the bar menu, the thought of which makes my Canadian heart swoon. I've been thinking about attending the 53 mile dinner myself, but hadn't called to see if they had seats left (PM me if you'd like some company...)

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Yeah, I'd eat that poutine, too. A restaurant here in Grand Rapids, The Green Well, just featured a "Farm to Plate Weekend" menu that included a "GR Poutine": "Lakeview Farms day fresh cheese curds, Michigan maple truffle fries, [local] all day braised pork, local fried egg, Michigan Dijon vinaigrette."

Grange Kitchen and Bar

The 53 Mile menu

Join Grange for a 53 Mile Dinner on Wednesday, September 30 at 6:30 p.m. Celebrate the fall harvest and taste some of the area's most delicious local food. Enjoy 6 courses prepared exclusively from farms and producers within 53 miles of the restaurant. Everything but the salt, pepper and olive oil will be sourced locally.

Assorted Canapes

Grilled Plum and Goat Cheese Tartlet

Mushroom Cavatelli, Walnut Cream, Mustard Greens

Michigan Shrimp and Grits, Andouille Sausage Butter

Roasted Pork, Parsnip and Apples, Maple Cider Glaze

Roasted and Braised Goat, Smoked Chile Sauce, Corn Pumpkin Pudding

Black Walnut Cake with Honey Poached Pears

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I did end up going to the 53 mile dinner, and it was great! The pork dish ended up being a chicken dish, and it was amazing. But the goat was the star of the show - it had a double goat rib chop (cut from a roasted rack, i believe) and then other "parts" that had been smoked and then braised. With the slightly spicy smoked chile sauce and the corn and pumpkin pudding, it was just awesome. Many people at the table had never had goat before, and were all really pleasantly surprised.

Another pleasant surprise were the Michigan shrimp! Apparently there's a guy with a pole barn and a shrimp farm operation up near Okemos. The shrimp were very flavorful, and Chef Johns says that even though they're expensive, he's considering using them regularly in the restaurant.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40