• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whole Chinook Salmon

OliverB

I just got back from Costco with a fresh whole chinoc salmon (sans head), I think it was 6.50/lb or so, the whole thing cost me $35, a steal compared to what this usually costs!

Now I'm just wondering, should I filet it or cut it into "steaks"? I think I'll do the later, at least with the thick part, but I've never had a whole salmon, curious what some of you that have experience with such a big fish would do?

We're not gonna eat it all at once, some tonight, rest goes in the freezer after a good vacupack.

Thanks for any hints and feel free to mention your favorite way to make salmon too :-)

Oliver

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

That about a 10# fish undressed so cutting through the backbone should not be too much of a problem for steaks.

If you are skilled at filleting you could also fillet but with salmon, the ribs are not of much use for a stock so use a small spoon and scrape off the flesh left for salmon patties or something similar. The head, if you remove the gills, can be used in a braise or grilled. A whole poached salmon of course makes tremendous centerpiece for a gathering.-Dick

thanks! I have not pulled it out of it's bag, but it is cleaned out and they kept the head (for Halloween decorations?). I've never fillet a fish, I'm afraid I'd make a mess. I think I'll make steaks from the thick part and maybe keep the end in one piece to make whole some day.

Yes, a whole poached salmon is awesome, which is why we had it at our wedding :-)

- Thomas Keller

Filetting a Chinook of that size wouldn't be that hard...You just slice down the back until you hit the spine, then keep your knife at an angle and follow the skeleton. No harder than deboning a chicken, really. But perhaps you would like to practice on a cheaper fish first :smile:

Living less than three miles from one of the most prolific steelhead and salmon rivers in BC, we eat a lot of salmon - my husband caught four last Sunday in the space of an hour. Here's some good Canadian recipes for you, from Canada's favorite women's magazine - and no, I don't work there :smile: Just a bit of Canadiana for you.

Canadian Living

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

There are some good ideas for salmon in this topic.

Cooking whole fish is ideal .If it's too much salmon at one time, I like making steaks from the anterior section, fillets from the back end, and then make stock with the head minus gills, fins and scraps.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

thanks all! I cut it into steaks but left the tail end in one piece (from where the belly was opened) and will make that whole one day. I put two on the bbq with a simple soy/honey/pepper marinade, turned out very tasty!

Wow, living close to a stream with Salmon sounds great! Thanks for the links, I'll def. check those out.

- Thomas Keller