• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in Lake Tahoe

Betts

No, you definitely will NOT starve. Go to Evan's Gourmet Cafe and Cafe Fiore. Harvey's 19 Kitchen at the top of Harvey's has great food and amazing views of the lake. Harrah's does a nice breakfast buffet with gorgeous views, also. If you want a cool little locals place, check out The Red Hut Waffle Shop, really good Banana Pancakes here. Enjoy the lake! :)

Part of the search problems might be that a portion of Lake Tahoe is Nevada, not California. For me, the ones I've eaten at which don't completely offend include Mirabelle, Plumpjack, and Lone Eagle Grill (only because they had elk steak!)

The food is respectable and acceptable, but not exceptional, I'm sad to say.

I'll 2nd the Cafe Fiore rec. I've eaten there twice..the second time just a week ago...and the food is wonderful. Also had a nice meal at Edgewood Country Club just across the border. There is a Chart House on Kingsbury Grade that's...well...a Chart House, but the view is terrific!

Also had a meal straight out of the '70's at Harvey's Sage Room. If you're in the mood for Steak Diane flambeed tableside or Caesar salad mixed on a cart and served tableside, this is for you.

Kaelani's in the Heavenly Valley tram complex offers Hawaiian/Asian cuisine I thought pretty decent. Another cute Italian place on Ski Run is Scusa.

Evan's gets great reviews, but I have never tried it personally. If you want to drive around the lake, Sunnyside near Tahoe City on the west shore offers a beautiful sunset view and decent food. It's owned by TS Restaurants of Kimo's and Leilani's in Maui.

If you're into Basque food, there are myriad Basque restaurants a short drive over Kingsbury in the Carson Valley.

Have fun!

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Thanks for the insights - I'm going to follow up and report. What's with the basque influence? definitely want to give that a try since there are no Basque restaurants ( or immigrants for all I know) in Minnesota.

The basque influence comes from the immigrant influence of sheepherders at the turn of the century into California and Nevada - lots of basque throughout central california valley as well - and there was a really good 'family-style' basque restaurant in Reno that we visited about 4 years - wish I could remember the name.... And although it would be a drive (didn't mention if you have a car) - but Tahoe City - which is a beautiful drive is well worth the visit too - we love Wolfdales - asian inspired - and great views of the lake as well. Enjoy - we got married in Tahoe - so, of course, it holds a special place for us....

Live and learn. Die and get food. That's the Southern way.

There are 2 main Basque family-style restaurants in Reno: The Santa Fe Hotel and Louis' Basque Corner, and they both have their ardent proponents. I've only been to Louis' Basque Corner, and it's a fun place and the food was good and plentiful. If you're going to be in South Lake Tahoe, however, bear in mind that Reno's a 1 1/2-hr. drive away - you might be better off staying in Tahoe and eating somewhere with nice view. If you do venture to Reno, my favorite restaurants are Sezmu and the Beaujolais Bistro; the Basque restaurants are good for atmosphere and Basque-style meat-and-potatoes sorts of dishes, and the picon punch (which you must try if you go to one of the Basque restaurants).

• 4 years later...

Thought I'd bump this up. 

Toots and I will be spending 2 weeks in the Tahoe area starting 8/18.  We will have a cabin and meals for most of that time, however, we'll be taking a weekend to explore the area.  What are some decent, inexpensive restaurants in the area?  I want to try Fiore's, but what else is recommended?  Wine is unimportant.  Good food, reasonable prices, good service, and, if possible, but not real important, a nice sunset or lake view.

... Shel