• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Cocktail for Laryngitis?

Yojimbo

I lost most of my voice last night, and tried soothing it with a bit of single malt scotch and a splash of benedictine -- hey, it was originally for medicinal purposes, right? -- but after a necessary phone interview this morning my voice is completely gone. What to do? Citrus? Honey? Amaretto, for the cough syrup flavor?

Any suggestions or home remedies will be gratefully received,

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

I say this as a professional user of the voice: If you have laryngitis, the last thing you want to do is drink alcohol. Drink lots of fluids, take some anti-inflammatories and refrain from using your voice. Then the next thing to do is try to determine the cause of the inflammation. If it is a cold or flu, then waiting is just about the only thing you can do. If it is potentially due to an infection in either the larynx or the sinuses, then potentially certain prescription drugs might be needed. For this, consult your doctor. If it is due to vocal abuse (e.g., you shouted too loud at the game/concert/argument/whatever) then vocal rest is highly recommended.

All of which is to say that nothing you drink is going to help you one bit, except psychologically.

--

Home remedy #1: honey, lemon, bourbon & hot water

Home remedy #2: Peychaud's bitters & beef bouillion, sipped from a coffee mug

agree with slkinsey that alchohol is not recomended, however if i were to treat in this way, i would do number #1 but steep a whole clove studded lemon slice in the hot honey water first...great for the common cold too!

Edited by shantytownbrown (log)

Many thanks for both drinks recipes and sound medical advice -- slk, I remained temperate until my voice was back in decent shape, and then doused it last Monday with madeira, pinot noir, and calvados at dinner. It probably didn't cure my cold, but ahhh, the psychological effects!

I still can't bring myself to do the neti thing, though my wife and others swear by it. Feels like waterboarding to me.

Hope this cold bug stays away from all other eG-ers.

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban