• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

She Ate Blue Velvet

onetoughcookie

Never heard of it. Is it just red velvet with blue coloring instead of red? If it is, then no, I won't be adding it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I had a request for a green velvet cake, for Saint Patrick's Day. I mixed some leaf green with a tiny bit of lemon yellow, to bring it up to a kelly green. It tasted better than it looked.

About as far as I would go with blue velvet would be a Tiffany blue. I saw the Duff episode where he did the blue velvet cake for Paula Deen, and although I'm sure it had an excellent taste, it had a very gloomy look to it. There are black velvet cake recipes popping up online all the time now. I would love to do a Halloween wedding cake, and use that with it.

Theresa :smile:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

Yes, blue velvet cake, from what I understand, is red velvet cake substituting blue food coloring for the red. I have decided it's best for an April Fool's joke, if at all, since blue is the color of many molds that forms on food. No wonder I find it so revolting.

Interesting how color can affect one's appetite, isn't it?

www.onetoughcookienyc.com

As they said, red velvet cake (which is really chocolate cake) but blue.

I'm not sure that red velvet cake (and by extension, blue velvet cake) is really a "chocolate cake." It is only supposed to have two tablespoons of cocoa powder in the whole thing. It's a tangy cake with vinegar and buttermilk, and only slight undertones of chocolate. Too much chocolate masks the tang.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Cake shall not be blue. It is axiomatic.

Reminds me of the radioactive green key lime pies at Costco. They recently changed to neon orange! I fear them. I intentionally walk around and away from them, much preferring the smell of ammonia in the fertilizer aisle.

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

I have to say that the idea of even a red velvet cake is pretty unappetizing to me, but then as someone who has grow up in england it's just not something I've grown up with - which is probably part of the issue with colour with cakes in particular considering that, to me at least, they are inherently a comfort food.

I, actually, am not a fan of red velvet cake, as it's not chocolate-y enough! But, my clients seem to like it, so it stays on the roster.

Thanks to all for weighing in on this. There are plenty of other really delicious cakes to concentrate on.

www.onetoughcookienyc.com

I, actually, am not a fan of red velvet cake, as it's not chocolate-y enough! But, my clients seem to like it, so it stays on the roster.

Thanks to all for weighing in on this. There are plenty of other really delicious cakes to concentrate on.

It's one of our family's very favorites and has been for decades. But we are under no illusion that it's a "chocolate cake." I can see how if a chocolate cake is what one is expecting, one would be pretty disappointed at the barely there, only slight undertone of chocolate.

But I think that's a good thing. There are many, many wonderful, deeply chocolate, richly chocolate, chocolate-on-chocolate, chocolate-in-chocolate cakes. I think it's nice to have another choice. And the tang of a good red velvet cake fits that bill for us.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.