• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ti-Punch ingredients

sealman

I found a thread quite a ways back but the forum kept getting an error when attempting to reply to the thread so here is the question originally posed by "Mike Allen"

I am looking forward to trying my hand at making ti-punch, I even brought back a bottle of the rum that our friendly bartender was using.  I am having a lot of difficulty in finding the cane syrup though, can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks in advance!

I am also interested in where to get ahold of some sugar cane syrup here stateside. Anyone have any suggestions??

BTW the original thread mentioned Rum Agricole several times ...is that another name for Sugar cane syrup???

Thanks

BTW the original thread mentioned Rum Agricole several times ...is that another name for Sugar cane syrup???

No, rhum agricole is rum made out of sugar cane juice (the French way) and not molasses like rhum industriel. Rhum agricole is usually described as having a bit more harshness to it than the molasses based rums.

Sugar cane syrup, on the other hand, is syrup made out of sugar cane...

• 2 weeks later...

Steen's isn't what you are looking for. It tastes more like molasses than sugar cane syrup. I hope to be bringing some sugar cane syrup to my giftshop online after Christmas. I'm in Martinique and looking for an exporter.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

I will be bringing some sugar cane syrup from Martinique and offering it on my website after the first of the year. There are 50cl and 100cl bottles here, one liter and half-liter as well as 70cl bottles of some brands. Will post more when I get more information. Initial estimates are that it will cost about $5 a bottle but that could change. Shipping weight is a problem but once you try real cane syrup you won't want to go back to brown sugar.

Edited by Ed Hamilton (log)

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

Fortunately, sugar cane syrup is only just that, sugar cane syrup that has been cooked enough so the sugar content is high enough that it won't ferment in the bottle. Actually the shelf life, unopened, is about three years.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

• 1 month later...

The sugar cane syrup is only half the battle with 'Ti punch (you can actually use raw turbinado sugar like Sugar in the Raw instead, on St. Martin I saw them make it this way).

Getting a Rhum Agricole in the US is a MAJOR pain in the ass. The only one that is easily accessible is Rhum Saint James but usually its the Hors de Age, which is their aged one, and you want to drink that one neat. You want the white one. You CANNOT use regular white rum, it will not taste right.

Brands to look for when you are on vacation in the Caribbean:

La Mauny, Niesson, Trois Rivieres, Clement, St. James, Dusquene, Dillon

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

You're absolutely right that it is hard to find rhum agricole but that will change eventually, patience is rewarded.

But if you are lucky enough to have cane syrup you'll be spoiled and won't want to use sugar. In the sugar crystallization process a lot of the flavor is removed. Sugar cane syrup is more like honey than sugar.

Edited by Ed Hamilton (log)

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

I really hope at least 1 or 2 brands of white rum agricole will be made avalaible. I only brought back 1 bottle of white Niesson on my last caribbean trip, I did this at the expense of bringing back more aged stuff. I actually left a 80 percent full bottle of La Mauny white in our timeshare for the housekeeping staff to take because we had no room left in the cardboard liquor boxes and my carry ons were also stuffed to the brim with bottles. :sad: Oh well, at least it was cheap on St. Maarten.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host