• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

suggestions for Alexandria?

Chufi

We'll be staying in Old Town Alexandria for a couple of days (starting today.. I know, short notice!) and am looking for some suggestions for dinner and foodshopping. We're staying near King Street Metro. Is there a good store/ supermarket nearby (we have a kitchen so can make our own breakfasts)?

also, would love some dinner options within walking distance. Preferably casual and not too expensive seeing as this is the end of our 3 week trip..

thanks!

Hi

So there are 3 options for supermarkets w/in walking distance. Whole Foods is right off of Duke Street about a 10 minute walk from the King Street Metro. There is a Trader Joes at like Wyeth and St Asaph (on St Asaph between Wyeth and Pendleton) and a Balduccis at 600 Franklin St right off of washington street. For dinners, i like the Majestic Cafe www.majesticcafe.com which is at 911 King Street and for dessert or really anytime there are two ice cream shops down by the water on King Street. I also can recommend sitting at the bar and having the fishbowl/chalice of beer at the Fish Market but i would not eat more than appetizer stuff at the bar, the spiced shrimp by the pound go well w/the beer.

Definitely Vermillion

Strongly consider the Lickety Split Lounge Lunch Menu at Restaurant Eve. Their Bistro menu for dinner would be ~$65 for three courses, w/o wine, so that may not qualify as "not too expensive."

The Majestic, already mentioned, is good, too.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

thanks all!

we found Whole Foods.. ah what a pleasure it is to browse there!

we we just came back from a delightful dinner at Vermilion. Busy, great vibe, excellent service, superb comfort food (corn mussel chowder, fried soft chell crab with beans and celery salad, boudin sausage with corn bread, a great cheese plate of Virginia and Wisconsin cheeses).

we're ging to try to make it to Eve's for lunch on Friday or Saturday...

I'm glad you enjoyed Vermillion. Restaurant Eve is closed for lunch on Saturday, so, as Joe Gerard said, do try to get there on Friday for the Lickety Split Lunch in the bar/lounge. They also have a regular lunch menu in the Bistro, but the prices are akin to moderately priced dinner elsewhere (apps 15-21, mains 18-25).

I've never been there, but Landini Brothers, on King St. near the river, looks like a good bet for Saturday lunch (~4½ stars average on OpenTable). It's tough to go wrong with a proscuitto and mozzarella panino, with salad, for $9.95. While you're in that part of town, you also can visit the Torpedo Factory Art Center.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer