• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cleaning fine sieves

David A. Goldfarb

The recent Silpat thread reminded me of this particular annoyance. I have a fine reinforced stainless steel Piazza chinois and a fine Piazza stainless steel skimmer--both the best tools of their type, and both a real pain to clean. I never feel I've gotten everything out of the mesh, particularly on the chinois. One of these days, I suppose we'll own a dishwasher, but in the meanwhile, does anyone have any special tips for cleaning fine sieves?

Edited by David A. Goldfarb (log)

I don't know why I never asked this question. Toothbrush has been added to the shopping list. I have the same chinois, and discovered the hard way that banana seeds are the perfect size to install themselves permanently between the wires. Perhaps the tooth brush will be a worthy implement of demolition.

Notes from the underbelly

I own a dedicated kitchen toothbrush for tasks like these.

"Kitchen" toothbrushes are vital for many, many tasks. Cleaning ginger fibers out of a Microplane, for instance (even in a dishwasher, the fine, hairy fibers survive more often than not). Cleaning sieves. Cleaning the parts of your food processor blades where they fit onto the drive shaft of the machine, but where, still, miraculously, gunk still collects. Cleaning ceramic ginger graters of the same hairy fibers.

Finally, if you have any level of fingernails whatsoever, using a toothbrush to remove any trace of capsacin oil from under said nails will ensure you never have the delightful experience of inserting a contact lens along with a good hit of hot pepper. Don't ask me how I know this.

• Like 1

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I often have an easier time getting crud out of strainers and sieves by letting them DRY entirely first, then brushing the item in question. When it's wet, the crud just seems to stick better. Letting it dry seems to help the crud flake off easier.

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

Hi,

A brewers jet bottle washer does and excellent job on a clogged chinois.

I ALWAYS top my stock pot with a round cooling/steaming rack before pouring stock. I also use a coarse strainer on top of the chinois to catch sediment.

Tim

"Kitchen" toothbrushes are vital for many, many tasks. Cleaning ginger fibers out of a Microplane, for instance (even in a dishwasher, the fine, hairy fibers survive more often than not). Cleaning sieves. Cleaning the parts of your food processor blades where they fit onto the drive shaft of the machine, but where, still, miraculously, gunk still collects. Cleaning ceramic ginger graters of the same hairy fibers.

Finally, if you have any level of fingernails whatsoever, using a toothbrush to remove any trace of capsacin oil from under said nails will ensure you never have the delightful experience of inserting a contact lens along with a good hit of hot pepper. Don't ask me how I know this.

Want to get rid of those pesky ginger fibers? Just put some plastic wrap over the top of your microplane and grate as normal. Still grates it, and you don't have the crappy clean up job at the end. Just remove the plastic wrap and toss.

A brush called a denture brush is the best tool ever for this! The bristles are very firm, and the round area is tapered to a fine point to hit the crevaces.

Want to get rid of those pesky ginger fibers? Just put some plastic wrap over the top of your microplane and grate as normal. Still grates it, and you don't have the crappy clean up job at the end. Just remove the plastic wrap and toss.

AHA! :biggrin:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"