• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chemist Reviews Wine without Opening Bottle -- an 'MRI for Your Ca

Don Giovanni

Chemist Reviews Wine without Opening Bottle -- an 'MRI for Your Cab'

DAVIS, Calif. --If you are thinking about buying some good wine, you may want to consider giving the bottle an MRI first.

Leah Knight collects wine. She knows a bad cork lets in too much oxygen, turning wine to vinegar, but until now, the only way to know if a bottle was bad was to open it, and opening a bad bottle of wine is very disappointing.

Matthew Augustine, a chemist from the University of California, Davis, says he is not a wine connoisseur. Yet, he came up with an invention for wine lovers; a wine scanner that can tell if a bottle of wine is good without ever opening it. The bottle is put into a powerful magnet, then, it's bathed with radio waves -- an MRI for wine.

Fair use for education...

So simple, yet not used as much as it should be...

Click On Me

Probably not for most bottles of wine, but for any bottle north of $500, I could imagine it becoming a necessity. I could also see MRI certification raising auction prices for collectible wines.

David,

Bingo ...yes the auction prices would go up for collectible wines...!!!

• 9 months later...