• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First time in Chicago

I'm traveling to Chicago in less than two weeks, and will be spending a mere ten days in the city. As a professional cook, I'm just as excited as when I traveled to NYC last summer. To make the most of it, I have already made a reservation for one at Alinea, and also plan to visit a few other establishments (The Publican, Hot Doug's, Frontera Grill, Burt's, amongst others). However, my plan is not really to spend all my money in restaurants: I have rented out an apartment for our stay located on West Huron, which includes a well equipped kitchen. The plan is to visit various markets/specialty stores and try to cook as much local food as possible. What I'm looking for are markets around my area (we will not have a car available) as well as cheese shops, specialty food stores, Wine Merchants, Purveyors of local beers, Traditional French Patisserie and Bakeries, etc. So far, I have been suggested the following:

Pastoral Artisan Cheese, Bread & Wine

Chicago Green City Market

Isaacson & Stein

Rubino's Seafood

Plus there is a whole foods a few blocks away. Any other suggestions? In addition, if anyone can think of any restaurants in the area that I should and or shouldn't visit, please don't hesitate to comment! We're not big drinkers, and my parents are fans of well prepared, quality food (nothing overly fussy or exceeding $50/pp. I was also thinking of adding Avec to the list.

Ariel

You might also want to check out Fox & Obel as a market. http://www.fox-obel.com/

As for local beer:

-Goose Island (Clybourn location)

-The Bad Apple

-HopLeaf

Some of these will require a taxi ride, but considering you’ve listed Burt’s and Hot Doug’s, which aren’t exactly within walking distance from where you are staying, I will assume you are willing to jump in a taxi if needed.

If you’re looking for stereotypical Chicago pizza, Burt’s is not the place to go. Personally, I don’t think the place is all that great. It’s more of an experience than a good meal, but that is just my opinion. However, if you do go, follow the rules (see Yelp) or you might get nothing.

One other tip. Slow down. It sounds as if you’ve already got more on your plate than you could reasonably handle. So slow down and enjoy the city.

I'll second the recommendations for Pastoral and Isaacson & Stein. I'd highly recommend paying the few extra bucks and doing Topolobampo over Frontera Grill, the food and dining experience is in a completely different league. Avec is great, but if you have to choose one Kahan spot I'd pick The Publican. Add The Bristol as an option for well prepared, quality ingredients for a reasonable price. However, it can get busy and loud (as do Frontera, The Publican and Avec, for that matter).

Check out Drinks Over Dearborn for an eclectic beer/wine/spirits collection, including local products. If you want more selection but less service, Sam's Wine is one of my favorite places on Earth.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

If you’re looking for stereotypical Chicago pizza, Burt’s is not the place to go. Personally, I don’t think the place is all that great. It’s more of an experience than a good meal, but that is just my opinion. However, if you do go, follow the rules (see Yelp) or you might get nothing.

One other tip. Slow down. It sounds as if you’ve already got more on your plate than you could reasonably handle. So slow down and enjoy the city.

Thanks for the tip! This is all tentative at the moment, just trying to weed out the places locals woulnd't recommend.

Just out of curiosity, what's a good example of Chicago-style pizza?

Just out of curiosity, what's a good example of Chicago-style pizza?

Lou Malnati's is probably my favorite deep-dish, but having it once a year is enough for me. There's been a major shift in the city's pizza culture lately, with the explosion of thin crust at places like Coalfire, Spacca Napoli, and-of course-Great Lake. There's a feeling in the foodie community that deep-dish is for tourists. I don't know how true that is, but it's certainly the frame of mind many are operating in. See this recent post on Grub Street.

Edited by KD1191 (log)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

I'll admit I'm one of those who feel deep dish is for the tourists. However, Gino's East, Lou Malnati's, and Giordano's are all acceptable. (I'm surprised Nxstcy hasn't commented on this thread, since s/he has a much stronger opinion on the subject.)

I realize I didn't put this in my earlier note, but I would highly recommend Avec. It's one of my favorite restaurant in the city. Creative, reasonably priced, and a pretty good way to meet people.

Do you have a preference for beer over wine?

I can't recommend Great Lake for pizza enough. Surly some of the best pizza I ever had and being right up there with Pizzeria Bianco.

And contrary to the many comments on yelp/press suggesting the owners of Great Lake having an attitude. I seen no such attitude on my visit and found them to be very friendly.

Robert R

It's actually the other way around, but I feel like there are greater odds to find good local beers than wines.

So, its a given that you're going to find better local beers than local wines. However, should I assume you're not looking for local wines?

Are you looking for a place to buy bottles or for a restaurant where you can eat and enjoy the wine together?

It's actually the other way around, but I feel like there are greater odds to find good local beers than wines.

So, its a given that you're going to find better local beers than local wines. However, should I assume you're not looking for local wines?

Are you looking for a place to buy bottles or for a restaurant where you can eat and enjoy the wine together?

I guess I should have clarified. I'm looking for a place to buy bottles.

I guess I should have clarified. I'm looking for a place to buy bottles.

Binny's South Loop

I'm not sure how far west on W. Huron you will be staying, but you might be fairly close to a section of Grand Avenue with a number of local foodstores.

Green Grocer is located at 1402 W Grand - they specialize in local and organically produced foods. They often have small events (food and wine tastings) at their store.

Terry's Toffee is located at 1117 W Grand - delicious toffee, ice cream and other sweets

Bari's Foods and D'Amato's Bakery are next to each other at 1120 W. Grand - good neighborhood Italian store and bakery. You can get some good subs at Bari's. I'm a fan of the marinated eggplant with mozzerella.

There might be other stores in the area that I can't think of. These are all fairly close to Piccolo Sogno, which someone else recommended. You can't beat their patio.

If you head a few blocks southeast of this area you are on Fulton Market where you will find some stores/galleries/restaurants (Moto, Otom, Publican).

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.