• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Charlie's excellent South Philly adventure

Mummer

After a 5 year hiatus, I'm a Mummer again! I've joined South Philadelphia Stringband. So I've gotta be in South Philly for rehearsals every Tuesday.

I'm checking out all the South Philly joints before practice. So far, I've been to Nick's Charcoal, Nick's Roast Beef, Bomb-Bomb and South Philly Tap Room. I'm kinda doing this roast pork thang (when I first got to Philly, one of my pals told me that Italians know all about pork; I ain't arguing) but it's much more about enjoying the scene. South Philly rocks! I'm doing a 6:30-7 start so that I make my 8pm (never on time) practice.

PM me if you'd like to do an early Tuesday thing. Pick the spot; I wanna check it out.

HOST'S NOTE: This is an member-organized event and not an official eGullet Society event. Click here for the terms under which this event is listed in eG Forums. CA

Edited by Chris Amirault
Events edit -- CA (log)

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, then. You might be aware that a Philly food blogger recently posted his 50 top bars list. That steered me to POPE last Tuesday where I had a fine bar burger, after agressively elbowing folks out of my way to order. (I'm just kidding about the elbows.) Last night, since the Phils were scheduled, I avoided traffic by hitting Local 44, 44th & Spruce in West Philly. Right on my alternate way!

I was blown away be their steak sammie. Not shaved rib eye, but a hanger steak, as requested rare, served with swiss, fried onions and huge chunks of avocado on a garlic mayo slathered, toasted half baguette. Fantastic! Rather than a love handle's worth of fries, it's served with carmelized plantains. Local 44 is all about their drafts; locals, including hand-pumped Yards ESA, are $3 from 5-7. Both the bartender and a regular agreed with my love of that cheesesteak!

A friend of mine PMed me about going to Bebe's, but they're closed on Tuesdays. In October, the band "gets on our feet," i.e. we also practice Sunday mornings to learn the steps that go with our New Year music. So Sunday Brunch, at around 1pm, enters the discussion.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.