• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle Eat-List for this weekend

jenc

Hey Seattle kids, I'm visiting this weekend and wanted to see if any of you had any thoughts on my eat-list. Will be in town from Friday afternoon to Monday morning. I know it gets mixed reviews on the board, but Elemental's pretty much the only place that we want to get for sure (had an awesome time last year). But other than that - let me know if you think I should drop something or I'm missing something that I should really really taste. Have car, except on Sunday. Staying downtown at the W. (x-posted to chow)

FRIDAY

Dinner: Elemental (back up is Saturday dinner)

SATURDAY

Early: Macrina Bakery & Cafe (worth waking up for?)

Morning: Pike Place Market

Afternoon: Molly Moon's Homemade Ice Cream, Trophy Cupcakes

Dinner: Sitka & Spruce? Joule?

Later Eating/Drinking: Zig Zag

SUNDAY

Brunch: Rovers or Lola? (sleep in instead?)

Afternoon: Pagliacci Pizza (worth the trip out?)

Early Happy Hour: Poppy

Later Eating/Drinking: Quinn's

MONDAY

Breakfast: Dahlia Bakery

POSSIBILITIES

• Malay Satay Hut - any good? The family is Malay, so...
  • How To Cook A Wolf - read some decent things, liked the name.
  • Tsukushinbo - Thought it might be a good hit for Sunday lunch
  • Boom Noodle - My sister's suggestion. I'm not sure if this is worth going?
  • Elliott's Oyster House - Any good? Tourist trap?
  • Paseo Carribean - Highly rated. Overrated?

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

Pagliacci is a definite miss. It's decent pizza but it's not anything you're going to remember. If you're set on pizza, I would reccomend Delancey's although they don't take reservations & the wait can be pretty brutal on a weekend.

If you're spending the morning in Pike Place, I reccomend Matt's in the Market for lunch.

PS: I am a guy.

New wood fired pizza spot, Delancey, 1415 NW 70th Street. Guy busted his arse getting it together. Be the first to report it here!

Has nobody really said a thing about Delancey's yet? I went there with a bunch of friends last weekend. Ordered every pizza on the menu. Definitely quite a few steps up from any other pizza joint in Seattle & even the resident New Yorker approved.

Elemental is fine if you're okay having no control at all, Phred is well, he's unique but his wife makes killer food.

Macrina is good, worth getting up early for, that's debatable. I'd probably spend more time in the Market. Second Matt's.

Sitka and Spruce and Joule are both great, though if you have a car and want consider Corson Building if Sitka and Spruce are on your radar.

Food at Zig Zag is not their strong suit, if you also want food go to Spur for late night food and drinks and then head over to Bathtub Gin Co. But Zig Zag is fantastic for drinks. I'd probably go there first then hit Spur and then Bathtub Gin, and if you are really ambitious, head over to Rob Roy or head up to Vessel.

Rover's brunch is fantastic, sleep is for later. Delancey would definitely be a much better choice for pizza. Poppy would be a great choice for happy hour, then go across the street to Olivar for a few small plates. Quinn's has slid recently as there has been complete turnover in the kitchen, they're still doing good stuff, but not as good as it used to be. I would recommend Anchovies and Olives, same chef/owner as How to Cook a Wolf and much easier to get into. Drinks at Tavern Law, especially upstairs, Barrio is also worth checking out for a drink. If you are running ahead of schedule, check out Liberty, farther north on 15th, for more drinks.

Rocky

Malay Satay hut is good

Skip Boom Noodle and Elliot's, if you want oysters go to Shuckers at happy hour or get them while at Anchovies and Olives.

Paseo is good, go to the Shilshole location.

Tsukushinbo is good.

Olivar is also a good brunch option.

Rocky

I cannot recommend Art of the Table highly enough.

Incredible food, and a truly amazing price for fine dining. I'd definitely pick it over Sitka and Spruce for Saturday night, unless there is something in the menu that you don't like (call ahead, it is a fixed price four course meal, and reservations are a really good idea given that the restaurant seats 22 people, and has a single service).

Dave > I'd thought about Art Of The Table, but given that Elemental is primary, I needed something that I wouldn't feel like a total troll for canceling out on last-minute.

Rockdoggydog > I'd heard that Rover's stopped their brunch? (despite it being on the website)

Dan > we'd had the crumpets last year, but may make a stop again since we're there. I didn't love - sacrilege, I know, but maybe it was because they were closing...

Delancy's > I'd had a lot of recs for this. If I showed up at 5, would that be still crazy? Is this like Elemental where I need to line up at least 30 mins before?

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

Macrina still makes the best bread in the city (fax me a Giuseppe Loaf, please), although the competition is getting closer. Wake up for? Probably not.

Have Sunday brunch at Cafe Campagne if Rover's isn't doing brunch. (I don't see it listed on the web site, but a friend assures me they still do. There's a brunch entrée on the menu that has a slice of brioche topped with ham and a poached egg, but sauced with something miraculous. I can't recommend it enough. I think it's the first entrée listed. Also, their frites are second to none, so get a side order.

Also try Le Panier's Tarte Belle Helene and a macaroon or three while you're in the market.

Delaurenti's is a favorite food and wine shop.

I've had great and not so great Malay Satay Hut. Try the black pepper pork chops if they have them.

Pagliacci's makes good pizza, but it's nothing to write home about and is overpriced. Delancey's sounds interesting. I shall try it.

I enjoyed Lola's the one time I went. The coconut pie everyone raves around deserves its kudos. Careful with the wine list, though; it's dangerous (as in huge% markup).

I wouldn't recommend Matt's. Maybe it was an off day, but I almost walked out. They served me guinea hen when I asked them to bring me one of their most popular entrées that would go with the Pinot I was drinking. Guinea hen and grits?! Who eats guinea hen?! It's tasteless and greasier than the greasiest duck. I almost picked it up with my fork and waved it around the dining room in invitation, "Chicken thigh, anyone? Anyone?! Thought not!" :laugh:

Edited by fooey (log)

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

Dave > I'd thought about Art Of The Table, but given that Elemental is primary, I needed something that I wouldn't feel like a total troll for canceling out on last-minute.

Rockdoggydog > I'd heard that Rover's stopped their brunch? (despite it being on the website)

Dan > we'd had the crumpets last year, but may make a stop again since we're there. I didn't love - sacrilege, I know, but maybe it was because they were closing...

Delancy's > I'd had a lot of recs for this. If I showed up at 5, would that be still crazy? Is this like Elemental where I need to line up at least 30 mins before?

Delancey's does reservations for 6 or more so if you can rope in another person, you can score a res and come when you may.

Hi everyone! I've got my eat-list nailed down and includes making Poppy a full meal, Txori and Elliott's for snacks, Cafe Besalu (croissants as good as Tartine!? I'm there...!), and Gelatiamo since it's close to where I'm staying. I decided I will pass on pizza this time around - we do have fairly decent (used to better when it first opened) wood-fired pizza at Libretto, and with the limited time, I think perhaps next time!

Thanks for all your input - will report back after food-coma wears off. Mind you, I'll have to eat through Vancouver first too... O_O

Edited by jenc (log)

A note on Cafe Besalu: It's quite a drive to get to Ballard from downtown, but it's worth the time. It's just a café, nothing special about the ambience, but the pastry is as good or better than Le Panier, which I prefer because they have more traditionally French offerings.

Get there as early as you can, because if it's as popular as it once was, the croissants will be gone by 8:30am. I think they limit how many croissants, etc. each person can have so later patrons don't mope, but who knows if/how that works.

It's rather hard to find because the trees block the sign (looks like they cut them, so it may be easier to find now). I usually look for the sidewalk sign.

Right next door is the Tall Grass Bakery. They make truly excellent artisan breads, by hand. Grab a loaf.

Edited by fooey (log)

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

• 8 months later...

Swing a cat and you'll find one.

Ivar's

Spud's

Pike Street Fish Fry

Etta's

Ray's Boathouse

BlueAcre

Elliotts

Flying Fish

Waterfront Seafood Grill

Shuckers