• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Modernist kitchen equipment in Paris

I just started working in the kitchen at the Norwegian embassy, and I am looking for some equipment. Where would be a good place to look for a pacojet, vacum sealer and "Texturas" type of ingredients? I went to Dellerhin (sp?), but they couldn't help me with much. Their cryovac was almost €3000, but I saw one at Metro for half that. Any suggestions?

This is what I've found out so far: Metro has lots and lots of stuff, but looks like is aimed more at the mid-level restaurant market. Wide array of frosen goods, lots of canned stuff, but also lots of nice meat and poultry. Since I run a very small kitchen, I prefer to shop at Passy or at the market down the street in President Wilson. I scoured the city for Texturas like products and today I finally found similiar products at Bon Marche. Very expensive, but it will have to do for now. That store looks like the one I'll go to for the more special ingredients.

The kitchen equipment is all found around rue Montmartre and the area around Louvre/ Les Halles. Dehillerin, Mora, Simon and one more that I dont remember the name of will supply you with anything you need. The cheapest cryo-vac so far is one that I've seen at Metro. PAcoJet is sold by some outside company, and is incredebly expensive. It's over 30% more expensive than in Norway! There must be something wrong, but the price I was quoted is around €3600.

Please comment on my findings and let me know if there is anything I've missed. I've heard about an epicerie called something "Isaeli...", but I can't remember the exact name. Anyone?