• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good roast chinese meats in Sydney?

PhilD

We headed to an old stalwart (BBQ King) last night, as it is around the corner from out hotel. It has had a few coats of paint since we were last there, and seemed to be quite empty. The duck was OK but nothing like we remember, and it is now very expensive for what it is.

The question: where do we go in Sydney (pref CBD) for good chinese roast meats? Where is the new BBQ King?

Phil,

Not sure how far you are willing to travel, but I can recommend the Tim's BBQ outlets - one in Chatswood and one in Eastwood. They are very authentic and quite good value-for-money, unless you are buying around Chinese New Year time.

I have never found BBQ King to be any good, and it has not represented any kind of value for a long time. I recall going there in 2005 and they charged me $12 for a takeaway lunch box of roast duck and rice for one. In my view, the spicing / marinade is lacking and it soon gets very boring to eat.

Julian's Eating - Tales of Food and Drink

I get my BBQ meats from Sunny's BBQ at Hurstville; it is at the bottom of the railway escalators. Duck is impeccable, BBQ pork is good if you pick the fatty ones. Roast pork is also delish, as they only use the belly cut and now the whole pig. Ever since BBQ King was being mentioned in "trendy" food press it has gotten exxy, overrated IMO.

"I'll just die if I don't get this recipe."